my pullets struggling to lay??!??

mommy25babies

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Or so it seems. I have 4 chickens 5month old pullets. Two we just got over the weekend so I know there will be adjusting period for them. The other 2 pullets I got a month ago since we have had them one has laid just about daily like clockwork. The other started laying (she's laid me 4 eggs total but she seems to struggle. She laid her first paper egg 2 weeks ago. Then a couple days went by and she laid a normal hard shell. Then nothing for a week. Then she would sit in the nesting box...bawking and then nothing. Then a couple days ago I go check on them at night and she laid double paper eggs..they were seamed together as if they were backed up or something. I havent gotten anything since but the last two days she goes into the nesting box and bawks and makes a racket for 30 minutes then no egg. They all get layer crumbles ..and fresh ice water ...morning yogurt..watermelon .. and free roam my backyard all day until they go to bed. Also oyster shell and or crushed eggshells. Am I missing something or is it normal for them to seem...for lack of a better description. "Egg constipated"? Eating drinking and pooping just fine.. and very friendly and active. Help!!!

It isn't her breed then, RIR should lay daily. Hmmm.... I'm lost now too. (I have 12 RIR pullets 17 weeks old, and I have only gotten 3 eggs from the whole bunch! I know that at least one pullet is laying because I witnessed the egg laying process. The rest... meh.) I do know they can become egg bound, but I have never had any experience with that.

Back
Top Bottom