My pullets were sick, now recovered, but still no eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sevenbabychicks, Jun 27, 2011.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hi all,

I used the search option to scour all the "no eggs"-related posts, but can't seem to find a case like mine. Hope you can help!

In late April, I added three 2 month-old chicks to my flock of 6 pullets (and one roo). The new birds were from a place with lots of chickens, and they brought in something that caused all of my chickens to get a little sick (congestion, lethargy, loss of color in their combs/wattles) and stop laying. I thought that once they recovered, they'd be back to their super egg-production selves, but no. It's been about a month since the last one exhibited symptoms, but I'm still only getting 0-1 eggs per day (from my best layer JG girl who never got sick. thank goodness for her). And nope, I haven't noticed a lot of loose feathers around so molting isn't to blame. No hidden nests, either.

What's going on? Is it possible for a low-grade infection to sterilize chickens? Or do I just need to keep waiting, and waiting, and....

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not sure, have they gotten their comb color back?
    I hope they recover soon.
    A good reason to quarantine.

3. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Quote:Yeah, all combs are red. And I actually did quarantine them for about a month, but somehow the infection got passed.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good quarantine period, if they were a good distance away perhaps it didn't even come from the new ones.
    New additions disrupt things but they should have kicked in by now.
    Could they be hiding them on you or a predator stealing them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by