My purse was stolen - any advice?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Southernbelle, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm a bit scatterbrained and when I was leaving Lowes (I was buying supplies for the build-a-bator contest on BYC), I left my purse in the shopping cart and drove off without it. I realized my mistake within about 15 minutes and drove back, but it was gone. No one turned it into the store - they checked the security tapes for me, but couldn't see anything helpful.

FORTUNATELY, I don't keep my wallet in my purse, I use the slim wallet from Flylady.net and it fits in my back pocket, so the thief got NO cash, credit cards or checks and my cell phone was in my front pocket. So I'm very grateful that I didn't lose either of those.

The biggest loss was my PDA - it has names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses of almost everyone I know and it was a gift from my DH, so I'm pretty bummed to have lost it.

I also had a hardcover library book in my purse that's due in 2 days - what are the chances the thief will return it for me?

My biggest concern is identity theft. I think my Social Security Card was in there and between that and my PDA - they now have my address, phone number and birthdate. I put a 90-day fraud alert on my credit reports with Equifax, TransUnion and Experian. Is there anything else I should do?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Call local pawn shops. Someone may try to pawn off your PDA for money.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:It might even turn up on crags list or ebay.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Contact the local police and file a report as well. Call a consumer information office in your state to see what you should do regarding Social Security.

I pray no other problems ensue for you.

Let Lowe's know it's been stolen. If the thief's thought it was something else or see it has little value, they may well throw the whole purse in the trash can since it had not wallet. It may be in the dumpster at Lowe's now.

Hope there are no future problems for you.

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i second making a police report. looks like you've tied up the other loose ends.

sorry that this happened and i too pray no more loss comes of it!

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh, that is to bad. I never understood how anyone could leave something behind, then one day I did it and we were so fortunate that the prescriptions that I left behind were turned in. Hopefully someone will give it back at some point.
    Did you contact the police? Also if you have a local radio station or bulliten board, ask for these items to be dropped off at your local library drop box (contact Library of course) or offer a small reward and no arrests will be made.
    We should all take note of the items you did not have in your pocketbook! Smart thinking! (Not only that, but that must have been a hot book for someone to take a bag with that in it-ha ha)
    Good luck and your in our thoughts! [​IMG]

7. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    What a wretched feeling!! I've been in your shoes more times than I'd like to remember.

My mother just had some items stolen from her (much larger, and they broke into her garage), but she called the police and filed a report. Unfortunately the less money the items stolen are worth, the less man hours they'll put into it.

I would highly recommend calling the local Pawn Shops and giving them a heads up on your stolen PDA. Call the library - hopefully they'll have a sympathetic ear and write off the book. Also, call your wireless provider (I'm assuming the PDA is a cell?) - tell them what happened. They can help track any phone calls made.

Good luck and lots of hugs. [​IMG]

8. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Definitely file the police report.

If something evil should come of it that will help cover your butt. Here's to hoping the thief was just looking for quick cash and will just throw it out.

But, you might want to check the dumpster behind Lowes like bargain said. Or look around the parking lot, it could have been thrown off to the side. Lastly look at the exit from the parking lot for any other dumpsters that are convenient......

You did a good job covering your bases already - thank heaven you didn't have any credit cards etc in there!

I had my identity "stolen" once and it was no joke. It took years to get it all fixed and I had to carry a letter from the police at all times in case I was stopped.

9. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh, that is to bad. I never understood how anyone could leave something behind, then one day I did it and we were so fortunate that the prescriptions that I left behind were turned in. Hopefully someone will give it back at some point.
    Did you contact the police? Also if you have a local radio station or bulletin board, ask for these items to be dropped off at your local library drop box (contact Library of course) or offer a small reward and no arrests will be made.
    We should all take note of the items you did not have in your pocketbook! Smart thinking! (Not only that, but that must have been a hot book for someone to take a bag with that in it-ha ha)
    Good luck and your in our thoughts! [​IMG]

10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    This just happened to one of my friends a few weeks ago. She just cancelled everything and hoped for the best. [​IMG] Sorry this must be a frustrating thing but we are all human. I left my groceries at the pull up lane one time. [​IMG] Got home without the groceries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by