My PVC Feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by redbugs13, May 23, 2014.

1. redbugs13

redbugs13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    Im sharing a pic of my new PVC feeders.

[​IMG]

My original DIY feeder was the 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled around the bottom and large tray bolted to it. But after 5 years the tray broke off the bolt and I was ready for something new. After doing a ton of pricing on PVC at local hardware stores I ended up going with this design and 3 tubes (I originally wanted 4 36" tubes, but that would have meant purchasing another 8' pipe.) Plus the 3 is more than enough of for my small flock of 4 hens and 3 ducks. However, 4 tubes would have held a full 50# bag of feed between them.

Shortly after install I thought I would have to alter the design as the hens seemed to scratch at the food putting it all over the ground, but they have since gotten used to sticking their heads in and eating, and don't scratch at them like they first did.

I am working on scratch and grit pvc holders as well, and then moving onto a new watering system! Over the summer I am hoping to give my coop a whole makeover!

2. katie5668

katie5668 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2014
    Pueblo, CO.
    [​IMG]what a cool idea..I may end up doing something similar..right now my chickens have a tin pan & I dump the left overs on the ground for them to scratch & get some grit. Do you add grit to their diets?

my geese have a plastic tub feeder & they noodle in the pond so I am sure they are getting what they need . There is not much waste that is left on the ground (keeps rodents & such away) as the doves clear it up once the chickens & all are elsewhere, like under the shade of the large Spruce tree in the goose yard.

I will be watching for updates ..interesting ideas! Thanks for sharing!!

3. redbugs13

redbugs13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    Thank you! I currently do not add grit to their diet, But they also free range in my back yard all day. I have a 10x12 dog kennel with a converted dog house attached they are only locked in the house at night, and only confined to the coop when we are gone over night. Otherwise I let them out in the yard every morning and lock them up at night. I used to not lock them in the house and just close the coop at night, but had a coon problem so I started locking them in. In an effort to take back my back yard and deck we have decided to fence off a smaller area for them to peck around during the day. I will still let them out, but just not all day every day. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by