My PVC PLAYPEN aka trailer/run

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjtdtd, Aug 9, 2010.

1. cjtdtd

cjtdtd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Lexington KY
    I was going to make this http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pastured-poultry-pen.htm But Lowes did not carry some of the connectors like the 3-way, 4-way, and 5-way. I designed my own chicken playpen based on what Lowes does carry. Here are pictures of what I just made. Hubby is supposed to help me add the chicken wire to it tonight. One side has a elevated bar so I can A-frame a tarp over it for shade and shelter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lowes did not have 4-way corners. But Lowes has contractor size bags of T's and elbows at a discounted rate so I used them. Here is a close-up of how that corner looks.
    [​IMG]

2. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Wow, that looks awesome! [​IMG] What a great way to make use of the connectors they had on hand. (I bet your modified structure is even sturdier than the original design, too!)

3. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:agreed!!!!!!!!

i am considering tractors (vs. the free ranging we currently do) for my next batch of freedom rangers... if i choose tractors i will DEFINITELY be "borrowing" this idea. [​IMG] great work!!!!

4. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    Great Job!

5. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    cjtdtd Thanks for the link in that other thread (my work internet connection was acting weird, but I managed to get the file I needed)

Your work on this looks perfect. The end result of the framework looks strong and sturdy - please post pics once the chicken wire is in place! Great job.

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Great job! I think that corner may be more sturdy than one with a single connector. Only other thing I might add is a support near the middle of the end where the tarp will be going. You have a support near the inside end of the bar, but I'm concerned that the long stretch without a vertical support might sag. The chicken wire will help support it, too. I'm looking forward to pictures when it's complete and the chickens are in it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by