1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    Just a few photos of my coop...the "Quack Shack"

Woke up to 14" of snow a few days before Thanksgiving (before and after)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since the "big snow", I have skirted the bottom of the coop to make a "duck hut" (hence the "Quack Shack")...and I have not put the white corner molding on the skirt yet (it's on the "to do" list). And I have also installed their pond heater...best invention EVER!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My chickens have the coop, and the ducks have the "duck hut". The coop is 4' x 6' x 5' (plus 18" for the duck hut) and fully insulated. Their run is 8' x 32'. This spring, I'm going to build another coop that is more "people friendly". This little coop serves my 5 hens very well, but I want a bigger coop. Not for chicken math, but for me! I want a coop designed for the "human equasion". Something I can stand in, and that has a storage closet in it. And outlets...lots of outlets! Live and learn.

2. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    P.S. I have only heated my coop 3 days thus far, we had several days of sub zero temps. I have a wireless thermometer in the coop now, and have stopped heating it. I don't like using heat, but I like having the option. I'm glad I insulated and wired for heat. Better to have it, and not need it...than to need it, and not have it...IMHO

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Quack Shack! I love it! I agree, those extras are nice to have even when you don't need it-yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by