My Quackers Bed.. A new post following.. Will Ducks Go Up A Ramp!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Totes Quackers, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    I posted that my quacker has a bed under the coop as he doesn't use the ramp.. here are some pics! It's raining today so I will post pics I do have atm, I don't have any from inside but it has straw in there, every few days or so I rake it out and put fresh straw in. It's not really any hassle to clean out, he prefers one corner which he seems to make a 'nest' in.. The chooks go in there too when it's raining out!

This is before I enclosed it, gives you an idea of the size under there..
    [​IMG]

The other 2 sides are enclosed the same as the one you can see here..
    [​IMG]

This is the coop/nesting boxes on top, it has a run attached which is covered for the winter..
    [​IMG]

During the day my 6 chooks and Hendrix free range in our yard, At night the chooks and quacker go into the run, the chooks go up the ramp to their coop and Hendrix goes underneath, There is a door on the run so they are locked up safe at night! I have a waterer/feed in the run part, the door is left open in the day if they want to go back in, the chooks do to lay their eggs!
    [​IMG]

2. Totes Quackers

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    I also painted this old dog kennel which sits up on the corner of our pergola facing into the yard, it has straw in there. He does use it every now and then, the chickens seem to love it, all 6 try to squeeze in there sometimes!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Totes Quackers

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    Sorry, this is a never ending post! I found a pic of our coop when we first got it.. you can see the size and what it looks like from inside.. We also put a new lined roof on the coop and nesting boxes, the one that it came with was awful and leaked!
    [​IMG]

4. ContessaKris

ContessaKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Grandview (SKC), MO
    Ohhh, what an adorable duck! Loves his space, I see. I love your coop! We're in the process of building ours. Now I want yours! lol

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Are you asking if ducks will go up a ramp? Yes, they will with the proper "training," but somehow there's always a duck or two who falls off when going up and more than that when coming out. With how steep and narrow your ramp is, this could be dangerous for your ducks specifically to their legs and feet. Most of our duck houses have ramps and I've made poultry panels out of 1"x3" and 4' chicken wire to put along the sides of the ramps when I'm "training" the ducks to use them. I use them like corral panels. My ramps are 4 feet wide so once I've taught them not to be afraid of the ramp I can take them down and usually only a goose will occasionally fall off.

The poultry panels are also great for capturing ducks, hospitals, temporary pens or anything else where you may need "walls." They are also lightweight making them easy to move and baling twine holds two or more together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by