My Quail are loosing feathers? Necks are ruffled up? HELP PICTURES ADDED

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Marissa Van, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Marissa Van

Marissa Van Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Hi there I have 2 hens to a roo in each cage of quail I have. I have been noticing the past couple days there has been a lot of feathers on the ground and some of my quail have ruffled up feathers along their necks? ( that's the easiest way to explain it) What could be happening with my quail? Thanks for any advice!!!

PS This is my first time owning Quail, so im knew to this.
    Oh and my quail are about 5-6 weeks old

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Most likely they are molting into their adult feathers. Coturnix molt once or twice a year depending on environment.

3. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013
    Dang I was hoping it meant that they are starting to breed and we would get eggs soon!

4. dc3085

People say they are fully mature at 8 weeks but that depends heavily on the genes of the bird. Don't expect any eggs until the 10 week range possibly as long as 12 weeks. If you don't have them under lights and are in the US you will need a light for them to lay this month, our days are too short right now. Mine usually start back up laying without light in mid march.

5. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013
    Good to know we do have a heat lamp maybe ill stick that out their for them so it`ll help the process!!

6. dc3085

Home depot sells cheap light timers for under $10. I set my timer to come on just before dark and shut off a couple hours after.

7. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013
    We already bought our heat lamp so I might just have my husband put that above the middle of their cages and so they have heat and light..should that work?

8. dc3085

Leaving the light on 24 hours a day shortens life span considerably. Also they don't need the heat. Coturnix are ok down to 0 degrees and probably even beyond that, as long as their cage isn't drafty.

9. sniper338

sniper338 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Watch to see if new feathers are growing back... could be the molting... it would also be fighting... so watch to make sure they dont fight with each other pulling feathers too...

10. Marissa Van

Dec 17, 2013
    Here's pictures to better describe what I'm saying sorry it was dark and was using my phones flash [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by