My quail chicks feet are swelling and then drying up NEED ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckmaster71, Mar 15, 2012.

1. buckmaster71

buckmaster71 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    I have hatched out 4 species of chicks.Georgia Giants,Buttons,Snowflakes and Jumbo Browns and for some reason 2 or 3 of each kind have swollen feet.One of the buttons and georgia giants feet have dried up and are rotting off and I dont know whats going on.I don't have any clue as to what to do.Any advice would be appreciated.Thank You

2. oddbirdranch

oddbirdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2012
    Southern CA
    Are they all together in the brooder? Is it possible they are getting pecked, injured, then infected? I had a terrible time with quail they tend to do alot of damage to eachother and the chicks seem to just LOVE feet. One little speck of blood and everyone wants to eat'em up. It is especially a problem if you house too many together. I had a batch of coturnix and a few A&Ms. The browns decided they did not like white and nearly killed them all. These were only about 3 week olds and all were the same size. I gave up raising quail because they were too aggressive and constantly needed to be separated into pairs.Even the females were aggressive to eachother at times. I had coturnix, A&M, buttons, bobs and white bobs and all were the same way though the bobs were more grown before they were any trouble.

3. I cant help but i have a friend who raises quail, give Marty1876 a PM, she'll now i can almost promise, sorry i cant help, hope your babies do better

4. buckmaster71

buckmaster71 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks for getting back to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by