My quail chicks....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by minna, May 13, 2009.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    are driving me crazy. I have 25 chicks. They are in my laundry room in a tub sitting on the dryer. They have a red bulb on them, the thermometer was just reading 97F, a little high because I had the door closed while I was gone to avoid Cat curiosity. I opened the door, it should cool it off a few degrees. They have food, they have water, they are chirping constantly. Like the something isn't right chirp. I put a stuffed animal in there, they like to climb on it, but it doesn't seem to calm them. They are giving me a headache, I can't figure it out. I have to figure it out, b/c I can't put them outside, their little feet would fall through the brooder wire and they would get hurt. What else can I do to make them more comfortable?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    how old are your babies? Sometimes at the younger ages stupid things really terrify them. Maybe they dont like the sound of the washer/dryer etc? Mine barely ever act up unless something is freaking them out and normally if I cant figure out what it is...if i sit in the bathroom (where i brood mine at now) I can normally figure out what it is... another bird being mean to the others, or a drippy faucet someone forgot to turn completley etc [​IMG] im sorry they are giving you a headache...I know the cry you speak of sounds like ahigh pitched cricket song LOL

3. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    That's exactly the cry.[​IMG]
    They are fresh, just hatched. It may be that they are scared. I noticed that during naptime, when everything was quiet, they were quiet. I hope they grow out of it. At least if that it is, I can hope they will be quiet tonight after we all go to bed?!

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Mine grew out of it. I was kind of sad because I ended up sleeping on the couch in the spare room where they were because it was soothing [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by