My Quail Died

Dusk

In the Brooder
May 10, 2019
My pet quail (Dusk) died recently, but it was very sudden. Me and my friend were playing with Dusk and then she started opening her mouth and at first I thought she was just thirsty, but then her whole head went limp, it felt like her head was broken and loose. Soon after that her whole body went limp and we rushed her to the room where her cage was. She jumped out of my friends hands and fell to the floor next to the cage and tried to go underneath the cage. We picked her up and we were holding her, about a minute later she died.

As per your other thread, my guess would be the food. Chicken feed (especially primarily seed-based) is not going to be suitable for gamebirds. You need to source a minimum 24% protein gamebird feed.

What does "playing with" consist of? They don't tend to enjoy human interaction (with exceptions!) and she might've been stressed.

There's a chance it was a disease but you won't really be able to tell without having a necropsy done. Just practice good hygiene - disinfect everything before more birds go in the cage.

Best of luck going forward!

We weren't really playing with her we were just kind of holding her, but I don't know if it was her food or not because we were feeding her chicken feed

CorturnixComplex

We weren't really playing with her we were just kind of holding her, but I don't know if it was her food or not because we were feeding her chicken feed

Chicken feed isn't enough for quail. The fact she went limp makes me think vitamin deficiency or illness. I don't want you to feel bad, but it's very important to research the care an animal needs before you decide to take one as a pet.

We've had Dusk for about one year, but we don't have any other quails. We knew that she was depressed because she was lonely.

We have had two quails we think the first one died of a heatstroke. She was actually a class pet, so she could have died of stress and overcrowding

We've had Dusk for about one year, but we don't have any other quails. We knew that she was depressed because she was lonely.

I can't tell you what made her die (a necropsy might give clues, if it was disease that did it), but I can tell you that you should not get another quail unless you are able to:
  • Keep more than two hens. They need a flock—humans aren't enough.
  • Feed them properly—game bird feed, 24-30%, is generally good
  • Avoid stressing them out—unless they come to you and don't struggle while being held, it's best not to touch quail until you absolutely have to
  • Give them their space—the more room and enrichment you give them, the more content and safe they will be
Sorry she's gone—I wish you luck (and fun!) in caring for future pets.

I can't tell you what made her die (a necropsy might give clues, if it was disease that did it), but I can tell you that you should not get another quail unless you are able to:
  • Keep more than two hens. They need a flock—humans aren't enough.
  • Feed them properly—game bird feed, 24-30%, is generally good
  • Avoid stressing them out—unless they come to you and don't struggle while being held, it's best not to touch quail until you absolutely have to
  • Give them their space—the more room and enrichment you give them, the more content and safe they will be
Sorry she's gone—I wish you luck (and fun!) in caring for future pets.
I agree, you hit the nail right on the head.

So sorry about Dusk!

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind the next time I get another quail:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom