My quail eggs arrived...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by James the Bald, Feb 21, 2013.

1. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I received a phone call on Tuesday that my quail eggs have shipped, and that my local post office would notify me on Friday so I can pick them up. So imagine my horror this evening when my wife checks the mailbox after work and finds a small box of eggs "on it's side". I don't know how long those eggs were in the mailbox like that, and I shiver to think about how they were handled and transported in the mailtruck that delivered them to my mailbox.

Right now, the eggs are resting for the next 24 hours after which the family is going to get together for an "egg laying ceremony". In the meantime, my incubator is operational and I'm monitoring the humidity. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Fingers crossed.

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    Candle them for detached air cells !

3. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    Thank you "iluvsed"... I will be doing that on day 14. Right now, I'm going to move forward as if I personally picked them up at the Post Office and they were handed to me from a big fluffy pillow.

It was just the panic and frustration at the moment... I can't blame the supplier who sent these, because it wasn't as if they had hand carried them all the way to my door and then put them into my mailbox.

4. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I've hatched mailed quail and they hatch pretty well so yours should be fine

5. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    What the heck! My mailman did the same thing today. In ANCHORAGE ALASKA! Uhg. They were cool but not cold. Luckily today was close to 30ish out and the eggs were well insulated. I guess we will know in about 19 days.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. James the Bald

Jan 6, 2013
    On any future egg orders, I am going to request the Hatchery place instructions on the container for the postmaster. On my order, I called the hatchery and they told me that if I didn't have a successful hatch, to call them again and they would send more eggs. I asked if they would "define" what a "successful hatch" would be, and they said that the manager I speak to will make the determination if it was successful.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yeah, the PO is pretty brutal on eggs. Resting them for a spell before incubation will usually get all the air bubbles out of the eggs and let the air cells return to normal. Good luck on the hatch!

8. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    JMF has tons of stickers on his boxes. The last delivery the mailman hand delivered them with a big smile. This new mailman. I guess I am lucky I got them and not a neighbor who would have eaten them.

9. 173rd

173rd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    And the USPOST OFFICE makes excuses as to why their busniess is so low.What with tons of lost mail, takes too long to get delivered at even the wrong address,damaged packages & letters.
    I just got a box of eggs clearly marked call for pick up at PO ;carrier came to house & called; gee no one home so back it went to PO.Said they could not see instructions HA! Another box of eggs went to a town 80 miles &emailed a message(wonder how they even got emailaddress.They reshipped to right town,box looked [email protected]%%%$#&[email protected]$$#!!!OUCH!! Wonder if eggs will hatch????? HAHA This is NOT A JOKE!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by