My quail finished hatching! (PICS)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KellyHM, Oct 28, 2008.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Ok, here's the final tally. I have 3 normal Button Quail and 2 normal Coturnix:

[​IMG]

I also have 1 Button and 1 Coturnix w/ foot problems. I splinted their feet w/ cardboard and bandaids. It seemed to straighten out the toes on the button, but he still doesn't walk well...just kind of spazzes out and rolls around. Not sure what to do with him...

[​IMG]

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Kelly! They are so sweet!

Is the lower yellow chick one with problems? Is it spraddled?

3. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    The lower yellow one is actually sticking out it's good leg. It has the one with the curled toes under it. The tiny one is the one that really spazzes out even though the toes looked like they fixed themselves.

4. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    Kelly they are sweet...give the button a couple of days and my history is that they fix them selves......

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yeah, I have one button chick that had curled toes when it hatched, and they fixed themselves. I was going to try making a boot for it, but how can you boot a button??? I had hard enough time trying to boot an OEG chick!!

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

What about using a twist tie and baby band aids?

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Is the big brown one in the first pic a cortunix chick as well? That thing is huge!! It looks like a chicken chick!

8. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    The brown one and bigger yellow one in the top pic are both coturnix. They're huge compared to the buttons, but still very tiny!

The little button with the curled toes seems to be walking better. I did boot him last night and it seems to have helped. I also booted the Coturnix, but no improvement there yet. I left the boot on again tonight and am hoping it will work itself out. [​IMG]

The other 5 are doing great!! Now for my chickens to hatch on Thursday....[​IMG]

Edited b/c I can't spell...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  9. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    After our Coturnix hatched on Wednesday, when I got home from work on Thursday I was horrified to discover we had two of them whose legs were stuck straight out behind their bodies. Looked kinda like surf boards. We had them on brown paper in a plastic container, and they had gotten under the brown paper and laid on their bellies all day. (Note to self....slick plastic not good landing strip for baby quail.) My son and I did some Coturnix physical therapy on them. I held the runt one, he held the other, and we cupped them in our hand, legs under them, letting them "work" their legs in the correct position. At first their little legs didn't want to go under them, but eventually our chickie PT got them going. The runt one had not stood up and walked prior to this, and it took him much longer to get going. Might try it, I figure it can't hurt.

I did notice that if the ones that weren't walking were in with the up and running ones, the up and running ones would pick, peck and sling them around. I had to keep runt (Pip I call him) seperate until he got going good. I put him in a box inside the brooder overnight, and then put him in with the others the next morning.

Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by