My quail have worms!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BackyardFarmer4, Oct 10, 2013.

1. BackyardFarmer4

BackyardFarmer4 Chirping

Oct 10, 2013
    OK I had 10 coturnix quail that I got from a fair. Well when I went to go check on them this morning I found one of my males dead!! I don't now how he died although he was a little lethargic the day before and he wouldn't eat nor drink and when he went to go run away from me he would stumble as he rancand I found little white worms when I dissected it too see if I could find anything. Can someone please tell me what theses worms could be and how to get rid of them!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Were they cecal worms? I'm not sure, but I think quail *might* be susceptible to blackhead (histomoniasis).

-Kathy

3. BackyardFarmer4

BackyardFarmer4 Chirping

Oct 10, 2013
    is there anyway to get rid of it?

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do your research and fid out if quail get blackhead.

-Kathy

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You need to worm your quail. Purchase Safeguard liquid goat wormer and dose them 1/4cc orally undiluted. Redose them again in 10 days.

7. BackyardFarmer4

BackyardFarmer4 Chirping

Oct 10, 2013
    Ok quail can get black head. Im almost positive that is what my quail have. Im going to get a dewormer for them. Thank you for your help!!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did the liver look okay? And how about the cecal pouches?

-Kathy

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The cecal worm is the carrier for the protozoa that causes blackhead. Safeguard will kill the cecal worms. There is no telling if your birds have blackhead, it is not known if the worms were infected with the protozoa. A dead bird would have to be sent off for necropsy to determine if the protozoa is present. If so, a different type of treatment would be needed to kill the protozoa after worming is completed.
    If I were you, I'd just worm your birds for now, reworm again in 10 days. Several days after the initial worming, if there are any more deaths, we'll deal with the protozoa then. But for right now, get rid of the worms. Here's a link for you to read, with pics:
    http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_25.pdf

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If the liver had lesions, I'd be willing to bet it's blackhead. Another indicator is of course yellow poop, but so it cecal poop with blood. I agree that worming is a good place to start, but if it is blackhead, which it might not be, you'll need to find some metronidazole and figure out how to dose such a small bird.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by