1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my quail is pecking the other's feet

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 04Oliver12, Jun 21, 2017.

1. 04Oliver12

04Oliver12 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2016
    i have 2 button quails ( a male and female) who have been together since birth and have done fine up to now but the male has started to peck the females feet and make them sore and sometimes bleed. why is this happening and how can i prevent it?

2. HUGHES555

HUGHES555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    alabama
    I cant say I've ever had that problem but you might want to separate them. Divide the cage with some hardware cloth or something. But make it where they can still see each other just not get to each other for about a week. See if that doesn't fix the problem.

3. birdmandan

birdmandan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Melbourne SE Suburbs
    If you look at the quails feet and google a picture of a mealworm, you will see they look similar. The bird thinks it is getting a delicious snack. Difficult problem to fix though. Hard to prevent feet pecking, once the habit stsrts. What bedding are you using for the quails? If the feet are partially covered by the bedding, they are more likely to peck.

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I never feed my buttons meal worms for this exact reason - I've never had it happen, but I've read that it can and so I never took the chance and fed them meal worms. So - do you feed them meal worms? If so, stop it! It might not be possible to make him stop thinking her toes are worms, but I'd say there is a reasonable chance if there are NEVER any actual worms around him. Eventually he should stop searching for them.
    If you already got them into a habit of expecting worms from you, you could let your worms turn into beetles and feed them the beetles - they don't look like toes in any way. I gave a meal worm beetle to one of my buttons this morning for the first time and she loved it - wouldn't even share with her chicks ^^ But they are getting kind of big, guess she doesn't think they need her care anymore.
    I agree with hughes that it might be necessary to separate them for a while - in particular if here are wounds on the hens feet now.

5. 04Oliver12

04Oliver12 Just Hatched

Jan 29, 2016
    I havent fed them meal worms and i use sawdust for rabbit cages on the bottom so their feet are usually covered. Thanks for all the suggestions and ill try seperating them for a while to see if it helps

6. birdmandan

birdmandan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Melbourne SE Suburbs
    A quail foot covered in sawdust with a toe or 2 sticking out of the sawdust resembles a snack. Quails are not known for their intelligence. Change the bedding or seperate them and you will be fine.

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Just an idea, can you paint some blue kote on their toes? I don't have experience with it but I think it's supposed to deter pecking because of the color it dyes whatever it touches? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by