My quail is sick,help please

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pringle, Nov 28, 2010.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    OK so a little while ago a predator broke into my rabbit hutch my quail were killed,all of them exept brownie a brown coturnix.She lived in my room for a while until I recently got 4 new adult quail(1 male 3 females).I put them all in a wire floored cage in my basement.They have been there for about 2 weeks and brownie was doing great(even beating up the other females).Just today I noticed she was in the sandbox doing nothing with slightly ruffled feathers.I put my hand in the cage to pick her up and all the quail spazzed and were running everywere exept her.I picked her up and she definatly felt lighter than usual.They have been getting fresh water everyday,I give them 22% gamebird food mixed with soybean meal.Do any of you know whats wrong with her?How do I help her.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    DId you quarantine the other birds before introducing them to Brownie?

I would put some sulmet in the water, isolate Brownie in a nice warm environment under a heat lamp preferably.

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I don't have anything more to add, just that I am sorry Brownie is ill & I hope she gets better!

4. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Is she eggbound?

5. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I cant feel anything thats like an egg on her,shes in my room right now,its nice and warm in here becouse the heat lamp is on for the baby chicks and shes in a cat carrier.I personally went to the persons house to get the quail and saw were they lived.They all seemed happy and healthy but I did quarantine for about a week.Should I run to the feedstore to get her vitamins and electroyets in the water?They dont sell sulmet there but Ill order it some right now off the web.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would buy the sav-a-chick electrolyte packets. They seem to work great, and they come in small bags so you won't have to store it and let it get wet. I hate it when that happens.[​IMG]

7. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Well I just buried her [​IMG] .I noticed shavings flying out of the carrier so i went and looked and she was there flapping her wings around and her head was rolling around and jerking.I picked her up and sat down with her but she just kept doing this and she suddenly started to breath heavily and kick her leggs like crazy.I put her on the floor and she just layed on her side making weird jerking movements.I knew she was going to die so I rapped her head really hard a couple times on the wooden table.She died very quickly but it was one of the hardest things ive ever done [​IMG]

8. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    And thankyou guys for trying to help me I guess I was to late [​IMG]

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Did she point her neck backwards and flop arould jerking it?

10. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Yeah kinda and she was flapping around and everything.Do you know what happened?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by