My quail is totally bald.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by I'm Birdman, Apr 6, 2018.

1. I'm Birdman

I'm Birdman Hatching

Jan 13, 2018
    So last night when I went to take care of my birds all quail were fine and this morning I went out to the quail house and there were to completely bald all over their heads and bloody. Why could this have happened and how can I fix this. The on has its eye shut and the other has both eyes open. They have plenty of high protein food and they are not over crowded at all. The two that are bald are Texas A&M quail and there is Coturnix quail in together. I've never had problems with them before. It always seems like its the males getting picked on though.

2. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Sounds like spring hormones are kicking in. More than one male per enclosure can work but the birds are often more stressed by this set up and they need a lot more space and hiding places so they can get away from aggressive birds. You'll need to sit and observe which bird is creating drama and remove that bird/s.

3. I'm Birdman

I'm Birdman Hatching

Jan 13, 2018
    I only have one male so it might just be spring hormones. Okay I will.

4. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've had that happen before. I had one pen where the male was fine for awhile then one day out of the blue he attacked one of the females quite badly and her eye has never fully recovered. I swapped him for another male and he's been great with them. But often one or two females can stir up trouble as well. They can be frustrating birds sometimes!

5. mdees88

mdees88 Songster

Mar 15, 2018
    Lower Alabama
    My Coop
    I had been raising coturnix for a while and I was able to get 4 bobs free. Three hens and a male. I kept them in a 6sqft cage. I had zero issues out of them and kept them there for 3 weeks. I checked on them daily. Well about 2 weeks ago I checked on them one morning and I only saw 2 birds in the cage. I start looking around and two of the hens were crammed into two different corners. Their eyes were gouged out and one of them had no skin or feathers on its head, just bare skull. It was pretty sad... I went ahead and put them out of their misery. After doing some research my best guess is the one hen and male paired up and the hen attacked the other two....

JaeG and 007Sean like this.
  6. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Sometimes they just don't get along. Too hard to tell which ones will or won't. It's a "hit or miss" thing! Don't beat yourself up over it too much!

mdees88 and JaeG like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: