My quail love double yolkers!!

inthesticks

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Massachusetts
I have been getting an outrageous amount of double yolked eggs from at least one quail!!!

Anyone else with this issue?

They are coturnix quail that are from stock where the person was working on getting larger birds.

It wouldnt be a big deal but they are so hard to tell if they are or not & incubating is like play russian roulette

About to candle the eggs I have in now, tried to avoid the big eggs, but who knows how successful I was at avoiding the doubles in there.

Anyone know possible causes for such a frequent double offender??

Also anyone have success w/ having one or both quail chicks survive in a 2 chicks 1egg situation?.......... There's a video for the internet...
caf.gif

Double yolks are usually a young quail thing...something they grow out of. Happens before the egg machine gets in gear. Double yolkers will not hatch.

Yes I have a courtnix that lays double yolkers.

Crowsranch is right about not hatching, I tried out of curiosity since I used to breed reptiles and snakes and I would sometimes get twins and triplets out of the eggs. Some people get as many as 6 snakes in one egg sometimes double headed ones as well and they can even live!!!

Back
Top Bottom