My Quail question

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Invision, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    So I have currently 9 Coturnix quail (that I hatched) and at 3 weeks I could tell I had 3 males 6 females, than yesterday while cleaning the coop I noticed 4 males and 5 females..... This is fine but I just wonder if anyone else has encountered this?

The birds are 6 weeks old this Thursday and I just noticed the 4th male last night... does it actually take 6 weeks for the colors to truly show through?

Strange.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

No you just missed the other one before. The colors that do autosex can usually be sexed visually by three weeks. This only applies to pharaoh or golden colored coturnix, all other coturnix must be vent sexed. I'm not sure what colors you have but when posting try to tell us what type of birds they are so we can answer more clearly.

3. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    They are the Pharaoh Coturnix, must of been that the last one was just always laying down when I looked them over. Oh well, that will be a better meal than two then. Thanks for the reply!

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Anytime. if you aren't sure how to process them I've made videos which are linked in my signature below my posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by