My quail will just not lay!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by nicoskk, Jan 11, 2010.

1. nicoskk

nicoskk New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    i have 17 coturnix quail in 3 cages. 1st: 4 female 2 male. 2nd has 5 female 2 male and 3rd has 2 pairs. Each cage is 28in x 18in.
    I've tried everything. Good food, clean water, added light for 16-17 hours a day (even though we have 11 hours of light during winter, here in my country Cyprus). We have a mild winter here, so i didn't bother setting up a heat lamp. What else can i try so i can get them to start laying?

Sorry for the bad quality of pictures, but they were taken at night, with my cell phone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Waiting for your help
    Nicos

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    How old are they? I had some that were probably 14 weeks old before they laid, when mine usually start laying around 6-8 weeks. Are they getting enought protein?

3. nicoskk

nicoskk New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    they are around 35-40 weeks old. And i make sure they are getting enough protein. I add to their food vegetables or crushed cat food or bread or so...

4. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    Are you sure they aren't laying and then eating the eggs?

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I'm going to say that they're too old. Good production is supposed to drop off at a year or so.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Wow! Have they ever laid eggs? I'm not sure how long they lay for, but I think it's something like 2 years. That's a tough one. Have they been moved or anything lately? Sometimes a disruption could set them back a bit. Other than that, it sounds like you are doing everything right, so I don't know what more to tell you.

I have mine on I think 22% protein feed. I believe they need more than 18%. the bread and veggies won't help with the protein, but the cat food would. Maybe you could scramble up some eggs or something.

Hope you figure it out, and welcome to BYC. My best friend growing up was Greek, I know--not Cyprian, but close. I loved seeing her pics when she went over for the summers. [​IMG]

7. nicoskk

nicoskk New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Quote:Well i am almost sure. I check the quail on a regular basis 5-6 times a day. If they are eating the eggs i would see some "evidence" in the cage, but so far, nothing.
    Do you think that the cages are too small?

8. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:He says they are 35-40 weeks old. (A year is 52 weeks.)

ETA: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. nicoskk

nicoskk New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Quote:Nope, never laid an egg!, i bought them 7 months ago.
    Well, us Cypriots, are Greeks [​IMG] We speak Greek, we have the Greek anthem, and next to our flag you will always see the Greek flag. [​IMG]

10. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Quote:He says they are 35-40 weeks old. (A year is 52 weeks.)

ETA: [​IMG]

Lmao. I was reading it as months. Nerr.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by