1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my quails not laying. they are all male or female, (with Picture)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rijbe, Mar 25, 2015.

1. rijbe

rijbe New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    hello,
    i bought 3 quails 3 weeks before. but till now they are not laying eggs. i don't know enough about quails. i give pics of my quails see and tell me what to do... they are all males or what is their age??

i am very tensed about my sweet quails. thank you all.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Top two are male and the bottom is a hen. The middle bird is one Id cull due to its marking. They normally will start laying at 6 to 8 weeks old if they are happy. If you want to keep coturnix long term, you need more quail..... 3 to 6 hens per cock bird is best..... It wont be long before that hen is bald and beaten even with one Roo. I used to keep 3 hens per cock bird long term and the hens would soon be beaten up too. Good luck.

3. rijbe

rijbe New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    So.. I need to buy more females?? And now my quails are unable to lay eggs?

4. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Yes, In my humble opinion, you should have 2 or 3 more hens to house them with one male. Only the males are unable to lay eggs [​IMG], the hen should lay just fine once she is old enough and happy.....

5. rijbe

rijbe New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Thank you very much.. I will buy hens as soon as possible... If i could i will make my males to lay eggs... :D

6. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    Of the 3 pics I see, 2 look like hens and the one with the honey colored breast looks like a male. I have a 6 to 1 ration in my breeder cages and my girls are still bald. If it gets too bad, I take the male out and put him in a bachelor cage; give the girls a break for a week. Haven't had problems with fertility that way either.

7. rijbe

rijbe New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    Now i am confused some says that middle one is male some says hen... Actually what is it?
    BTW the first one is Italian golden quail.@fat daddy.

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I agree with Fat Daddy.Males have the rustic breast.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. Fat Daddy

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    The middle one is a male..... That is why I said above it was a "cull" because of coloring..... Its confusing to some who see the dark speckles and think hen. But the rust color gives him away... Once and a while you see a hen with the rusty breast so it does happen..... But Id bet that one is a roo. If you breed him, he will throw sons that have speckles too. You dont need that in your gene pool....

10. rijbe

rijbe New Egg

Mar 25, 2015
    @Fat Daddy I think so it is roo. I bought three more hens as you said to me. Btw whats the age of my quails how can i know..??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by