1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MY QUAILS WONT LAY!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zafeerabufarm, Mar 3, 2014.

1. zafeerabufarm

zafeerabufarm New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Hi, I am slightly frustrated that i have had my coturnix quails for months now (almost 6 to be precise) and i havnt received a single egg!

I feed them regularly with marriages quality quail layers pellets, they always have fresh water, good bedding, even a heat mat to keep them warm, and a massive cage......

There are, i think, 5 females and 4 males.

PLZ HELP ME!!!

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC.

Quail do not lay from december/january-march/april without artificial lighting. Most likely the birds werent' mature going into the winter season, then they molted and thats why don't you have any eggs. They need 14 hours of light a day and right now we only get about 12. They should start laying naturally soon.

Stress also plays a huge factor, with that many males your birds are probably quite stressed.

You are going to have big problems if you have 4 males and 5 hens together. You only have enough hens there for one rooster. Coturnix should be kept 1 male to 3-7 females. They will breed the hens to an early grave otherwise.

take some time to read through the sticky threads from the quail forum, they will teach you a lot about your birds.

1 person likes this.
  3. quailkid14

quailkid14 New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    So I disagree with the whole march and april thing I have quail laying right now and it is only the beginning of march its just when your quail are getting enough nutrition to lay eggs make sure thay are getting bug and stuff oike that for them

1 person likes this.
  4. Many things contribute to cots laying. Daylight is a huge one. High protein levels are a really big one. Weather is another. And so is their stress level. You can simply move a feeder or waterer and this can throw them into a hissy fit of not laying. :he and of course ratio is important with cots. 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 is good in my book. Some get by with 3 to 1 though.

Wish ya the best.

1 person likes this.
  5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Ya can disagree all ya want their quail don't care LOLOL

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    a lot depends on what latitude the birds are at as well the lower down they are the quicker they seem to lay I am @ Va beach my gambels and bobs are already laying my ringneck hen is just starting

1 person likes this.
  7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very scientific. Why don't you share the specific ratio of bugs that made your birds start laying?

When i answer someone on this forum and they don't list a location, I give them a general time frame to calm them a bit. You also need to realize that different locations around the world have different amounts of day light. Just because your birds are laying doesn't mean a darn thing to someone else.

8. jaybeeson18

jaybeeson18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Worcestershire
    You can put a pair together on there own male or female

9. 101ChickenWorld

101ChickenWorld New Egg

Apr 18, 2015
    There is to many males the radio should be 4 females to 2 males

10. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    This is just bad information..... I can hope you meant 4 females to 1 male and made a typo......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by