1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Quaker Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jballone, Dec 8, 2012.

1. jballone

jballone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Here are some pics and a short description of my 4'x4' "Quaker Coop" that I constructed this summer. The coop currently houses 3 hens but could easily fit 4-5.

This coop is 4' x 4' with wheel barrow handles and wheels for moving it around the "homestead"!
    In this pic you can see the "man door", nest box with locking lid and 14"x21" window.

[​IMG]

Here is the back of the coop showing the vent and pop door.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the interior showing the PVC feeder and roost with poop tray.
    The tray is filled with fine sand making cleaning easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The nest box lid.
    [​IMG]

The girls looking for treats!
    [​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

THAT IS AN AMAZING COOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Love your coop, how did you make your pcv feeders, I would like to make some. Or you could just come and make me a coop.[​IMG]

4. jballone

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks for the kind comments.

The feeders were made following instructions somewhere on this site. The vertical tube is 2" pvc attached to a 4" pvc drain cap. It is attached to the cap with a couple self tapping screws. The part of the tube that is in the cap has a notch cut out of it to allow the feed to pour into the cap.

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    SWEET! I have the little 3x4 Quaker and now soooo wish I had bought the 4x4. Just that extra foot would make a big difference for my big girls.

6. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Wait, I just noticed that your coop matches your house and the other structure, garage? That's awesome. The chickens live in a mini version of your house.

7. jballone

Jul 4, 2011

Yes, we color matched the coop to the shakes in the peaks of the house. =)

8. Snarg

Snarg New Egg

Dec 8, 2012
    I see the handles and wheel. How heavy is this thing and is it difficult to move around?

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I think this is the most perfect coop I have ever seen, other than a shed conversion.

Wow!!!
    [​IMG]

10. jballone

Jul 4, 2011
    I'm guessing it weighs around 300lbs but when lifting with the handles it's feels 50lbs. If I had to push it up a steep hill I'd have trouble. Pushing or pulling around the yard is not problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by