My question for the day is....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Farm Frenzy, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I want to let my girls outside to frolick and stuff, but I tried that, but then they don't want to come back inside. I can't leave them out because of the racoon population. So how do you let your chickens free range for the day, then put them up at night? I read about people doing it, but my chickens are REBELS!!!! [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine just automatically go back to their house. I kept them in the coop and fence for a week before I let them range and they come back on their own.

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I have always used scratch to get them where I want them to be. They can recognize that bucket anywhere and will go to where ever I am scattering it. I only give it to them in the henhouse, so when they see me go in there they automatically come running

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I give them their treats inside their coops in the evenings. My older girls go in and wait. The younger ones are learning but sometimes I have a hold out. I use a treat voice and when they hear it they know it's treat time. Chickens will do almost anything for treats and I use repitition.

5. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Good, I'll try that. I'm getting REAL tired of chasing them around. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Get an empty coffee can with a lid, put scratch in it and shake it to make noise, then throw some in front of them. They'll associate the sound with goodies and come running from all over the place.

7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    With mine a paper bag means french fries,, if I walk in the yard with a paper bag I'd better have something to give up!

8. Yep, the food thing works most every time !!

I speak up with "chick, chick chick" and by God they all come a running to see what I have.

9. Farm Frenzy

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Thanks guys, I'll try it...I'll try anything actually. [​IMG]

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    All mine come running for "Chook chook ChOOK Chook" and goodies...dont call them and not give them something or it wont take them long to ignore you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by