My quick throw together cheap hatcher that is 100% effective!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    So i had less then 2 hours to figure out what to do with little money and little time. My cousin shows up at my house with 4 eggs who his hen was attacked and killed was sitting on they was on day 16 he had warmed towls and wrapped them in so I rushed to the store grabbed some cheap things and threw this together in little time. I didnt perfect it just did the best I could. So i wanna share this with everyone because it REALLY works.

What I needed.
    1 Dollar store styrphone cooler-$2.50
    1 roll of duck tape-$3.00
    Non slide shelving liner-$1.00
    1pack of Sponges-$1.00
    25w bulb Pk of 2-$2
    (All from the dollar store)

Already had:
    Wire
    Heating Lamp
    And digital temp/hydro meter.

I took the Heating lamp apart taking off the metal cover and hanger.
    I cut a hole in the side and suck the socket in half way and taping around to cover the hole and half of the socket.

The cooler was not very big so I made a small window by taking a peice of plastic from a kids toy and traced the placed then cut it out with a knief. Thee I tapped it on with duck tape. I took some wire I had and made a floor covering it with the nonslip liner. I then took another peice of wire making a divider from the bulb to keep from making the eggs too hot or burning chicks when hatched and added some Foil to knock off some of the heat.

I made some vent holes in the top. about 4. My temp was running to high like 110. So I started to make some holes on the side to bring down temp. I made a oops and added to many so I began to cover them with duck tape till I reached desired temp and humidity so watch when adding vent holes you may add too many and need to cover them.

I followed some of the steps from miss prissys homemade bator but just did it in a quick time with little money and just threw it together so I wanted to share what I did. Temp holes in it 99.9 and humidity runs from 45-50. When I add a sponge just one sponge runs humidity to 67% all 4 eggies hatched so I plan on using this as my hatcher. I just wanted to share. Here is some pics of it like I said it is not pretty but IT DOES ITS JOB!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Wow what a great job you did! Congrats on hatching all four babies. So sad that their mother was done in though. I'm sure this will come in handy for many.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

thats great, good for you, and so glad the chickies all hatched!! [​IMG]

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thanks! I have eggies due on the 28th and Plan on poping them into this for hatching.

5. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    That is so awesome!! Good job and congrats on the chicks!! [​IMG]

6. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Wow - you are the McGyver of incubators! I'll watch for your post on how to make a space shuttle out of a digital watch, a Nintendo 64 and a weedeater. Best of luck with your hatch!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    LOL, If it had not been for missprissy coming up with her neat way to make bators I would have been lost..LOL I just remember some of the things she had and some that I knew it would take a little more money and time to get so I just got what I could and rigged some stuff crossing my fingers hoping it would work the way I hoped it would. I have had it plugged up for 2 days now getting it ready for the 28th hatch and Its running 99.9 somtimes 100.5 and humidity is about 67% goes down a bit and so. I just thought this would be great to share to show others they can do just as good of a job for a hatcher or cooler without spending so much money or having to buy a seperate incubator for a hatcher.

So my Kudos goes to missprissy for sharing her ideals and letting us BYC'ers in on her awesome plans..LOL...

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Great resourcefulness, talk about quick thinking! I am in awe- and going to copy that idea big time, if you will allow me! WOW!

[​IMG]

9. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Wow! This is cool!

Suzy

[​IMG]

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Yes you sure can copy! I posted it here for others to know what to do. Just watch on poking too many vent holes. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by