My Quickie chicken tractor.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by michelleshenhouse, Sep 11, 2011.

1. michelleshenhouse

michelleshenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Slidell, La
    Decided the girls needed a tractor that i could put several in during the day while I'm at work. I had a few trying it out this morning. I still need to do a shade cover. But overall it works. LOL
    [​IMG]

2. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    That's cool. I've been pondering making one too. I'd really like one that I can fold and store flat. We don't have much space to store bulky items. Yours looks like it might almost do that. If the sides could be popped off/on easily, or could swing into the middle...

Maybe this is a silly question but - how do you get them in, just lift the end? do the go in by themselves?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  3. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

Do you steak them down for the day or can it flip if the wind catches it?

I like the idea and want to do something similar for mine.
    I think I will need to steak mine down so they can't get loose.
    (Being in town can be such a pain.)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  4. michelleshenhouse

Jun 22, 2009
    Slidell, La
    Thanks!!! It will fold somewhat flat and I have a few areas in the yard that it wouldnt get toppled but would have to stake it if I had it more in the open.

5. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    Cool! I think I am going to go to the yard and contemplate doing one for us. (Translation: I am going to go to the yard and watch the chickens. LOL)
    No really I am going to go make windows for the coop and perhaps a tractor that I can easily pop apart for storage.

I like the idea of letting them out. I just do not want to end up feeding them to any of the stray dogs or coons running around.

6. michelleshenhouse

Jun 22, 2009
    Slidell, La
    I surprised myself and did it yesterday. DH came home and gave me the weirdest look and I simply told him as least you did't have to build another coop.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by