My rabbit had babies!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chicken Frenzie, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Charlette, my Checkered Giant, and Skittles, my American Chinchilla had babies! This was Charlette's first time giving birth, and I was at school. I was very surprised that there were no peanuts, runts, or anything like that. Only 6 healthy babies!! :)

2. BirdyMe

BirdyMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on a healthy litter!! :)

3. Munkey

Munkey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    SW PA
    Congratulations!

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Thank you! They're so cute!

5. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Peanuts only happen in the small breeds that employ the dwarfing gene to achieve the compact type that is required by their breed standards. Since neither the Checkered Giant nor the American Chin are dwarf breeds, peanuts can't happen in their litters. As to runts, I've noticed that young mothers seldom have problems like that. IME, it seems to be the older does that are more likely to throw kits that are undersized or otherwise "not quite right." 6 is a good litter size, too - not so big that competition among the kits becomes an issue, and not so small that the kits are likely to grow too fast. Congrats on your new baby buns!

6. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Awww They must be so cute and little[​IMG] I love the name Skittles too.

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Keep checking the nest, though. There's no telling when one might die... hoping none of them do, though! I was surprised to find a dead bunny in my last litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by