My rabbit just kindled on day 26

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AussieSharon, Jul 5, 2008.

1. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    I got up to a shock and surprise this morning to find my new pregnant doe who would have been on day 28 tomorrow had had 8 babies in the night. I was planning to put her nesting box in this AM so the poor thing had them on the cage floor! By the time I found them 2 were dead.

I rushed and got the nesting box inside her cage and put the babies in. This was about 3 hours ago. My son just came and asked me should a baby be out of the nesting box and on the cage floor. I told him not unless she got it out. I went and checked on her and to my surprise she's had 4 more babies! 2 were on the cage floor, one of which was deformed and dead and 2 were on the floor outside the cage. I checked on her less than half an hour ago and she hadn't had them then.

So now I have 9 live babies in the nesting box and 3 deceased. She's had 12 babies. She is an experienced Mom so I am hoping she will start to care for them. What a morning!!

2. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Hey Sharon, keeping busy I see! Our little ones are doing fine. Have their own little coop and run outside now. Growing like bad weeds! Congrats with your new additions!

3. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Tim that is great to hear! Glad they are doing well. I just hatched 6 more Welsummers and 4 look like roos!

Poor DH didn't know what to do this morning when I came running in house and yelled "hold this" and stuck out a bald, blind baby rabbit. He took a step back and said "what is THAT?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by