My rabbits :) . . . and their genetics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenwhisperer, Aug 10, 2010.

  1. chickenwhisperer

    chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

    927
    1
    159
    May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZhW8g6Rhmw


    I
    rescued a bunch of rabbits from CL over the last 2-3 months, and these are the favorites that I think Ill keep.

    I plan to add a true purebred flemish giant to my rabbitry.
     
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. IcarusSomnio

    IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

    297
    0
    119
    Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I love your Vienna [​IMG] Does he/she have partial blue eyes?


    I wanted to breed Flemishes at one time, but couldn't find Foundation stock who's parents where in the 15lb+ range I was looking for. The only kits I found in my area came from from 13lb stock. [​IMG]
     
  3. chickenwhisperer

    chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

    927
    1
    159
    May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Vienna . . .
    Lol, which one is that?
    The blue-eyed one has blue eyes.

    The male that I have is her father, and her mother was a mix too.

    She is my favorite of the females tho, I love her colors.
     
  4. IcarusSomnio

    IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

    297
    0
    119
    Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    The Vienna (VM) is the one with the white on her nose and head [​IMG] If you breed her to another Vienna, I believe you'll have a 25% chance for BEW, 50% for more VM's, and 25% for just a regular bunny [​IMG]

    I currently have 9 Viennas, 7 does and 2 bucks. Their my foundation for Blue Eyed Whites, I absolutely adore the color. It's hard to breed, but worth the effort.
     
  5. b.hromada

    b.hromada Flock Mistress

    I love your bunnies!! [​IMG] Thanks for rescuing them!! They have a wonderful home with you.
     
  6. chickenwhisperer

    chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

    927
    1
    159
    May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    So what exactly is vienna?
    A breed or a color?

    I cant find a good pic.

    I have since learned that her 1/2 sister is a chinchilla, but is that the breed or a color?

    The 2 females in question are in the same hutch are 1/2 sisters that have the same father who is my male in the video.
    Neither of their mothers looked like purebred anything.

    The father is either flemish or has flemish in him.

    Can you please post a pic of YOUR vienna rabbits so I can get a better understanding of them?

    Im still learning about rabbits.
    Does the color determine breed, or vice versa, or am I just way out in left field here and should shut up?

    ETA- I was gonna go with part NZ for the one you call vienna.
    Still dunno if THATS a color or a breed . . . [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  7. chickenwhisperer

    chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

    927
    1
    159
    May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    b.hromada :

    I love your bunnies!! [​IMG] Thanks for rescuing them!! They have a wonderful home with you.

    Your welcome, and thank You!

    I gotta admit, I was hesitant at first but Im glad I got them, they have really grown on me.
    Definately makes it easier when they are friendly!
    I had a bunch more that I found good homes for with friends.​
     
  8. chickenwhisperer

    chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

    927
    1
    159
    May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
  9. IcarusSomnio

    IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

    297
    0
    119
    Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:'Chinchilla' is both a breed and a color, it's a very, very pretty ticked gray. The breed is called American Chinchilla, and the color is found in many other breeds and regular mixed breed bunnies. One of my favorite does was a chinchilla color rabbit, she was extremely neglected and unfortunately passed after two weeks of fighting. She had a thing for licking feet [​IMG]


    'Vienna' is just a term used for carriers of BEW, which also isn't a breed yet. I'm hoping to work towards making it an actual breed, both in Standard size 5-7lbs. And Mini, 1-3lbs. Vienna's can have a HUGE blaze, white feet, and a band. Or they can have just one tiny little white toe, I almost marked one for sale like that. I then flipped her over to clip her nails and surprise! White toes!
    I also had a Broken Orange Vienna, she had a big blaze and partial blue eyes.

    Right now all I have are the larger guys, but I'm expecting litters soon [​IMG]


    One of my more loudly marked Junior Opal bucks
    [​IMG]

    Another more loudly marked Chestnut doe, she's bred to an Ermine (white with brown eyes) buck.
    [​IMG]

    Black Steel Doe, showing much less nose white. I have one with just BARELY any, and of course the one with none at all (she only has half her ears, too).
    [​IMG]

    My favorite Junior Opal Doe, she also just has a little triangle on her nose.
    [​IMG]


    I don't have any pictures of my half-eared white toed girl yet, but she's pretty cute as well [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  10. chickenwhisperer

    chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

    927
    1
    159
    May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    K, so your pictures helped, thankyou.

    I do not see blue eyes on yours tho, is that the pic or they dont have em?
    I know the white spots means it carries the gene, but is it VM or VC, vienna being vv.

    I spent alot of time researching this stuff last night and will do more, but tho sites explain the science, I dont understand ALL of it . . .

    All I know is that my rabbit is a mutt, and has all blue eyes with no amount of brown.
    I am not sure if her father or her mother gave her this gene, but I have the father so I could potentialy find out.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by