My "re-homed" hen is not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmichicks, Nov 15, 2008.

1. luvmichicks

luvmichicks New Egg

Nov 15, 2008
    I recently acquired 3 hens. One Americuna that is over a year old and 2 barred rock chicks that are 2 months old. The person I got them from told me the Americuna was laying, I've had her a week and haven't gotten an egg yet. I'm sure she's a little stressed over her move. When should I expect some egg action?

2. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i bought some chickens a while back that were laying took them about 2 weeks to start laying again but i only got 3 that are finally laying the rest haven't started laying again and it has been a month

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good luck.

Sometimes it takes a while.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You may not get an egg for awhile. Don't despair. She will in time. Some take longer than others. Sometimes just moving them to a new coop will cause them to stop laying for awhile.

5. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    some birds won't lay untill they go through molt. Most start again in about 2 weeks. When ever I buy hens that are laying they normally lay the next day as they had one in the shoot. Then I don't get any for 2 weeks or if they were close to a molt, after the molt is over.

6. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i think mine are going though a molt!

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    None of the adult hens I have bought started laying for at least 2 weeks after joining my group.

8. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Quote:That is what happened with the young hen I bought this summer... She gave me 2 eggs and promptly molted mid July.... Only this week has she returned to laying her big green eggs!!! I am thrilled, I thought perhaps she would wait till spring...

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is extremely stressful on a hen to be moved to a new home. This stress, time of year, cold weather approaching, less sunlight, don't be surprised if her lack of egg laying is extended beyond a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by