My reason for wanting chickens! Help with some breeds?

noahsmom

Songster
9 Years
Jan 11, 2013
North Eastern, Ky
So, this evening me and S.O. got to talking and it started me on some reasons WHY I really wanted chickens, what began as simply some chickens for egg laying has turned me on to a complete love affair with these birds.
love.gif

He wanted to know why I wanted different chickens then what we had and I began to think about what I really want out of my backyard flock.

For one, I want nicely bred chickens from breeders, If I'm going to buy a chicken or eggs I at least want said chicken to look like the breed it is said to be. People want to know what makes my red chicks so different from the hatchery reds at TSC and in several months they will immediately see the real difference of there beauty and the way real RIR's are supposed to look. Secondly, I want a coop and run full of beautiful chickens of different shapes, sizes and colors! As well as a beautiful egg basket in the end, chocolate, greens, blues, dark browns, light browns and of course my little silkie white-tinted eggs :) That is my dream for my backyard flock and I want to make this happen. My chicks are only a 1wk and half old and honestly I love taking care of them, talking to them, getting them out for out of brooder time and enjoy there company. Seeing the smile on my sons face when one of the chicks walks up to him to hop on his lap, it is just simply wonderful. I know it will be no different as they get older and have to do the same with them in the coop and run for me.

Now, please don't take offense to me saying I don't want any hatchery type birds, there is NOTHING wrong with hatchery birds just not a choice I made for myself.

I'm attending a poultry show next month and I'm REALLY considering getting into showing a certain breed, I have no idea which breed it will be but it is peaking my interest. I guess I'll never find out if I don't attend at least one and get the feel of it all.

I do have some questions on breeds and how they will get a long.
Like mentioned above I want a pretty egg basket and I worry about different breeds getting along, do I have anything to worry about?
I was thinking Marans, Ameracaunas, Orpingtons(possibly ) and What other breeds might I consider for a beautiful egg basket and chickens? I am looking for docile, friendly and good layers. I realize I have a LIMIT to how many I can have and have to think about expenses as well, so I'm trying to choose wisely. I plan to have another coop/run just for Bantams, but for now Bantams and LF will be in the same coop/run.

I would add Cochins to that mix-sweet personalities and very beautiful! Also, for variety of colors in your chickens-you can't beat the Orpingtons and the many colors to choose from. :)

I would add Cochins to that mix-sweet personalities and very beautiful! Also, for variety of colors in your chickens-you can't beat the Orpingtons and the many colors to choose from. :)

Yes, I forgot to add Cochins they have caught my eye so much lately...I think I just have a fetish for feathered feet
roll.png
Well bred ones are just GORGEOUS! I have silkie chicks right now and so excited for them to feather out!

Yes, I forgot to add Cochins they have caught my eye so much lately...I think I just have a fetish for feathered feet
roll.png
Well bred ones are just GORGEOUS! I have silkie chicks right now and so excited for them to feather out!
you think Cochins are Cool...?

take a look at my Naked Neck Buff Cochins....

My BC2 Naked Neck Buff Cochin chick..(and mother..)

Does anyone know of any good breeders that are breeding multiple breeds? That sell hatching eggs or chicks? I emailed dick horseman he has several I'm interested in but just waiting on a reply.

Piper Omar has some terrific breeds/hatching eggs available-If I get eggs it will be from them.

Polish are also beautiful. I have been hesitant to get these to add to my mixed flock though as I have heard they can be picked on and /or become aggresive due to not being able to see well with the feathers interferrign with their sight. When I first started out and bought the first chicks I could find that interested me from a private party, I got one that I was told was a frizzle. It was definately NOT a frizzle and not even sure what she is other than one of my favorites..Opal is black with two white feathers on her head, no feathering on legs, mid size between banty and LF, and has something that caused poofy head feathers. Not long enough to interfer with her vision but enough to make her unique. She also lays a blue/green egg...If I could be sure there wouldn't be issues with the rest of the flock-I would definately add a polish or Houdan to the mix.

Back
Top Bottom