1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My recent coop reno project

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Dec 18, 2008.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    So last spring I found THIS on Craigslist:
    [​IMG]
    It has a front door, too, and is 8 feet long x 4 feet wide by 12 feet tall! The guy used it to hunt out of (putting his gun out those little windows [​IMG], which have plexi over them that drops down--real sporting). Anyhoo, turned out it was only a few miles from me, so I bought it (for $150!!!) and had it hauled over.

I finally completed my reno of it. My original henhouse, for my 2 pet chickens, was this:

[​IMG]

Very cute, and we worked hard on it, but being so small, it was impossible to heat, a complete PITA to clean, and I had to leave the water out in the run, where it froze, etc. Just wasn't working.

Here's the new one (old coop hasn't yet been removed). You can't really see this in the pix, but I dropped the plexi window covers down and securely stapled on hardware cloth, so in the summer they can be open for ventilation, and in the winter, closed to keep in the heat.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The nest box (it's really a litterbox--I liked the round cosy shape of it) will eventually be up on a little shelf:

[​IMG]

The run is a 10X10 dog run, which I got on C's list and (1) covered; (2) put a hardware cloth apron around (shown here prior to staking-down):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I've still got some prettying up to do on the building (I have an adorable Penn. Dutch hex sign for it, and I want to move the bell from the old house), but the girls have moved in and after some intial consternation (we all know how chickens feel about NEW STUFF!), they have settled in nicely. They have SO much vertical space, and can go right up near the ceiling if they want, via the roosting ladder. The heat lamp is close to the top roosts, so they can choose to be near it or not. Just having the water inside has prevented it from freezing even when it's been below 32F. And cleaning it is a BREEZE! I "scoop poop" every a.m. with a stall cleaning fork and put it in the little trashcan for my gardener SIL (whose Christmas gift this year is horse and chicken poop -- on her request!).

Anyway, that's it! I'll post more pix later after the prettying-up! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    How did you stake down your pen to the ground? We just built a new one yesterday but haven't staked it down yet. Here it is so far:

Edited b/c I added the wrong picture....duh!

[​IMG]

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Good job on the new coop. I like that nest box also, that round cozy shape IS very appealing and the color is nice and clean too. [​IMG]

4. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Looks Excellent,

What a great idea, and your girls will have such a great place now.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice job, and the nest box is charming![​IMG]

6. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Well, the PEN isn't staked down -- it's enormous and heavy (chain link) so it's not going anywhere. [​IMG] The hardware cloth apron extends 2 feet up the pen walls and then 2 feet along the ground, to prevent anyone from digging in. It is staked in securely with heavy tent stakes. Since that pic was taken the grass and dirt have grown in around it and you can't even see the apron now.

Ah, ok -- just saw your 2nd pic. Yeah, what you need is tent stakes -- metal, not plastic. I got mine at Target.

7. pawsplus

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:So cosy that Olivia SLEPT in it the first few nights, but she's now gotten brave and is going up on the roosts. [​IMG]

If anyone wants one like it, it's made by the "Booda" company--google Booda litterbox.

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    [​IMG]
    Very nice! I wish I could give poop to everyone on my Christmas list! Also looks very secure, I like the nestbox!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by