My Red Bro Broilers (Image intensive)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SimplyAbundantFarm, May 27, 2008.

1. SimplyAbundantFarm

SimplyAbundantFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Hi all...

I know that there has been a lot of conversation about the Red Bro broilers and I thought I would share the photos of mine now that they are out of the brooder and in their day ranging pasture. Mine came from JM Hatchery. They are 4 weeks old in these photos. (The color is a bit iffy on some of them, as it was close to sundown and I was taking them with my cell phone. They are not as yellow as the first picture and not quite as deep red as the hoophouse photo. The other three are somewhat closer to their true color of most of them, though there is some variation with a few of the birds on the blonder/yellow side and several of them in the deep red category.) I have to say that it is an absolute pleasure to have 'pretty' broilers -- complete with feathers -- for my customers to see!

I have been very impressed with them in terms of hardiness and foraging ability. It has been lots of fun to watch them on pasture the past few days. No leg problems, growing well and very healthy and active. As you will see from the photos below, they look like they will have nice full breasts and wonderfully meaty legs and thighs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine live in an open air hoophouse in an 80x20 electronetted pasture. Those trees that you see in the background are home to several foxes, but thanks to the electronetting, I have yet to lose a bird to predation (except the occasional wayward layer who decides to venture outside the "friendly confines" -- but none of the broilers have ventured that far yet) and my birds have a wonderful life as you can see from the photos -- ranging, foraging and getting to be chickens. My border collie likes to 'patrol' the perimeter (I think it frustrates him that they don't like to stay in a flock), which I think has also encouraged the chicks to opt to stay inside the fence rather than to venture out into "Fox Heaven".

[​IMG]

You will notice a blue tarp on the back of the hoophouse in this photo, but it is not there all the time. In fact, the only time I close up three sides of it is when we are expecting lots of wind and rain -- otherwise it is just a cattle panel hoophouse with Astrotek-type bubble foil coming down about 2/3 of the way and hardware cloth going up the other 1/3 from the bottom.

Normally, they do not eat in the hoophouse, but because we were supposed to get rain, I moved their feed inside, as well. Normally, though, their food and water is at least midway or further down the pasture to encourage them to get outside and move around. Unlike the Cornish Crosses, though, they hardly need any encouragement -- they are outside from shortly after dawn until the heat of the day when they retreat back to the comfort and shade of the hoophouse. Once it starts to cool off a bit -- around 4pm most days -- they are back outside until they come in to roost for the night.

[​IMG]

There is also lots of roosting room, as you can see. I use the 1x6 across the back (right in front of the tarp and about knee height) as another roost -- and they love it.

I 'float' a hovering blanket of Astrotek foil over them on cooler nights (not pictured). It helps to prevent smothering deaths, by encouraging them to stay in the warmth of the center of the hoophouse rather than piling in the corners. I had lost a few to piling prior to using it.

Anyway...I just wanted to share, as I know that several of you have ordered the Red Bros. I'm as happy as can be with mine. The proof, of course, will be coming in another month or so when they are processed, but so far...so good!

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. jhill1440

jhill1440 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2008
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the pics. They look great. Where did you get the electronet? Do the Red bros fly out of the netting since there is no top? This set-up looks like it would work where I am at, thanks for the inspiration. I was planning on raising a flock of meat birds in the fall when the weather is turning cooler instead of just getting hotter here in Texas.

Joshua

3. UncleHoot

UncleHoot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    St. Johns, Michigan
    Thank you very much for the post. Please keep us updated. I'm seriously considering switching to these birds, but, like others, I'm hesitant to move beyond the comfort of raising cornish crosses. Ideally, I guess I'd like to try a handful of them along with a batch of cornish X.

Each year, it seems like another hatchery or two is offering Red and Black broilers. Hopefully, this trend continues, and soon they will be available just about everywhere.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

5. SimplyAbundantFarm

Feb 24, 2008
    Quote:Thanks, Joshua-

I have the 48" tall Premier poultry netting. I swear by the stuff and have been extremely pleased with it. If you get an electronet, make sure you get the poultry netting, as the holes closer to the ground are smaller. I had another brand (not Kencove, but maybe MaxFlex or some other brand) and this is much, much better -- the holes are smaller and closer together and the net is just better constructed all around. I have a laying hen who flys out, but none of the broilers so far. One of them loves to climb up the side of the hoophouse cattle panels to be 'king of the pen' -- but has not yet tried to escape. When they have plenty to eat and their house and food and water and their comrades are all inside the net, they have no need to try to escape, really.

If it gets to be a problem with them flying out (or if I have any aerial predation problems -- none so far, though), then I have decided that I would cover it with garden bird netting. So far, though...so good!

Mary

6. SimplyAbundantFarm

Feb 24, 2008
    Quote:Thanks!

How are yours doing, Grey?

7. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I raised red broilers a few years ago from Ideal. They do grow slower than the cornish X, instead of butchering them at 6 weeks, we did ours at 12 and they were great. The plus side is these you do not have to pull their food away to keep them from gorging themselves, they can walk like a normal chicken (do not get too heavy too fast) and the whole reason I got them was because I could sell them to the asians because they were not white if I had too many to handle.

9. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Smoky73-- By "they're not white" do you mean the chicken's feathering, or is their skin not white ( like a silkie with black skin?)

10. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We're talking feathering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by