My Red Hampshires weird behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by funkychook, Nov 11, 2011.

1. funkychook

funkychook Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Hi I love the forum and read lots of the posts. I am knew to keeping chooks and have 4 girls for 2 months now. They are getting big no eggs yet. I let them out in the afternoon and they go to bed when the night draws in which helps me as I am disabled and chasing chooks is not a good pastime lol.

Anyway in the last 3 days my Red Hampshire Henrietta has taken to bobbing in front of me when I go near her. Its almost like a curtsy lol and she now lets me stroke her back. She has done it 3 times today already. I thought at first she was bobbing down to poo lol but no it was almost like she was saying come and stroke me.

IS this normal behaviour? Does anyone know why she is doing this?

They are so funny. My dog buries her stuff in the garden and this morning she had hidden a bit of sausage. When I just let the girls out, they found it straight away and there was a rugby scrum to get it lol, all 3 chickens chasing my big fat Muran for it lol.

Anyway just thought I would ask about Henriettas weird behaviour. Its almost subservient.

I love my chooks they have kept me active and sane the last 8 weeks even if I have found it at times a bit hard work. [​IMG]

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    That's courting/breeding behavior. Assuming you didn't get them as babies they may be laying soon.

3. funkychook

funkychook Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Oh right that would make sense. I cant wait for a fresh egg lol. One thing is for sure you dont get chooks for the eggs the cost of keeping them far ways the cost of the eggs, but they have kept me on my feet for 8 weeks which is good for me. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to me. Zelinda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by