1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My red pullet chicks aren't red.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by paddock36, Apr 9, 2011.

1. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I bought six red pullet chicks from the red pullet bin at TSC and they were little red chicks but they are feathering in completely white. Not a single red feather. What gives? Has anyone else had this happen.

2. CrazyCatLady76

CrazyCatLady76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hazard
    I just got some Golden Comets from their red pullet bin Tuesday, and some of them were really red, but some were very blonde with red streaks down the back. Mine are still little enough that they only have wing feathers and the very barest beginnings of tail feathers, but most of the blonder ones seem to be feathering pretty white. The reddest one is showing black bands on her wings, though.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Yep, Golden Comets are red sex links and they can have alot of white in them!!

Here were mine at about 4 weeks last year!

[​IMG]

4. FMAFarms

FMAFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Rural Michigan
    Very blond Golden Comets feathering in white = Golden Comet roos. Slightly darker Golden Comets with a bit of auburn down feathering in red = Golden Comet pullets. It would not be the first time there's been a mix up, unfortunately, but Comets are sex links and the two are very distinct as their feathers come in, or just together, since the boys are paler yellow...

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I was hoping for RIR or NHR, but I had a GC before and it was my best layer.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like they're sex-link hens. They'll darken back up, on front at least.

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Some of my RSL hens are completely blonde, more so than red.

8. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    My Red Sex Links from TSC were the same way...

Week 1
    [​IMG]

Week 2
    [​IMG]

Week 4
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by