My red Star changed since yesterday. whats going on ?? please help !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sandrameissnest, Jan 15, 2014.

1. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    hello
    i have a red star hen she is going to be 3 years this year,
    since yesterday she is so different. she walk very slow, and is not really active, she goes around the yard but when i lift up things for her she is not into it ! she is not her self !
    ussualy she is the pack leader, she walked out first from the coop and digs everything up in the yard also tryes to catch every bug out there.
    what is happening to her? is it possible that she hurt herself ? i dont think she is laying eggs ( maybe once in a while ) but i think that is her age. also my other chickens dont lay no more as they did before i have 5 hens ... before i had everyday 4 eggs now its like1 or 2 every other day.
    i tryed feeling around her vent like under and between the legs if i ca feel a egg stuck- but i cant feel anything.
    so what should i do ??
    i gave her some cooked chicken... she still loves that :)
    thanks for your help guys'
    sandra

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    She probably has coccidiosis. Try looking for Amprol at the feed store and follow the instructions. If they don't have Amprol, ask what they have to treat cocci. Does she have diarhea? Any other symptoms? Don't wait, go soon. They can get very sick quicklyl. If nothing else, get medicated chick starter and get her started on that, but the liquid amprol is better. Give her chopped fresh fruit or veggies, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese...scrambled or chopped hard boiled egg. Mixed with her grain or regular feed, but just in small amounts.
    Not laying could be from a lot of reasons, including her age.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check her for crop issues,as in impacted crop. Any discharge from vent? Check her over for mites/lice,look under wings,around vent area,base of tail feathers. Has she ever been wormed?

If you are concerned about internal egg binding(even though she has not been laying it is a good idea to check anyway)put on gloves with lubricant,insert finger into vent and see if you can feel an egg or broken piece.

Any discharge from eyes/nostrils? Breathing issues(raspy breathing)? Any issues with legs/feet,check her feet for bumblefoot.

There is a decrease in egg laying due to age,but change in seasons decreases egg production also,decrease in daylight means decrease in egg production.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When they are that age and start acting puny, you have to check for mites and lice, think about worming them, check her crop in the morning for impaction or sour crop, and look at her vent for any vent gleet. Try to watch to see if she is eating or has any diarrhea. Coccidisois can be a concern if you have added any new birds recently or if she has been moved to a new yard where a strain of coccidia that she hasn't been immune to may have made her sick. Corid (amprollium) for 5 days is the treatment for coccidosis.

5. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    she is eating and drinking - since i have seen her.
    i dont know about the runny poop- i will have to see because its hard for me to tell, since i have 5 hens and they all day outside unitl it gets dark and they ready to go in there coop.
    i will check tomorrow again also for mites...
    she does get yorgurt cantalope tomatos fresh corn ...
    i just seen some pics of the poop of the cocci sick hens- well i have to say there is no blood that i know for sure.
    also they do look sick, mine doesnt. i will make a pick tomorrow ;)

6. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    oh i forgot , no new birds they have been together since i got her so 2.5 years and same yard :)

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Most likely she needs to be wormed. Worm the rest of your birds as well. Stop feeding her yogurt and all that other stuff and only provide her layer feed until she's better. I recommend valbazen or safeguard to worm them.

8. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    so the stuff for cocci dont do all the worms as well ?
    where do i get the dewormer?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    No the Corid is only for coccidiosis. The wormers are available at most feeed stores or TSC. Get the SafeGuard Horse Paste, Liquid Goat Wormer, or Valbazenshep and cattle wormer. Don't let the employees talk you into getting Wazine--it only gets roundworms, not the others. Are you in the US?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  10. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    ok
    so the paste i would still put in the water? also how much paste for 1 gallon ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by