1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My red star chick sneezing repeatedly?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gabrielle, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Right now she is sleeping on my hand, but she will wake up every once in a while and sneeze two times, and quickly fall asleep again.
    Should I worry about the sneezing? Is it normal?[​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Songster

Feb 5, 2009
    What kind of bedding are you using in your brooder? My chicks sneezed a lot when I used pine shavings--a few even had other symptoms like they were having allergies. There's also the fact that chicks just make a LOT of dust.

I wouldn't worry about sneezing itself. If she starts getting swollen eyes and a runny nose, I'd be concerned. Otherwise, it's just all that dust those chicks kick up in their brooder.

You aren't the only one to worry about it, believe me! [​IMG]

3. Gabrielle

Gabrielle In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Quote:Thank goodness! I do have Pine shavings, and I was looking at most of my chicks (7 of them..) and others were sneezing too! I checked them, and they are all happy and healthy.

Thanks! [​IMG]

4. NCchicken

NCchicken Songster

Sep 8, 2010
    Yup I have pine shavings too and all of mine will sneeze. But as soon as I move them to the coop outside they stop. I also clean my brooder totally out twice a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by