My rescue dog is a bit Too Interested in my chickens.

Halogirl09!

Hatching
Sep 1, 2018
Hey all!
So, today I rescued a dog from the local animal shelter. He passed all normal tests with flying colors, he’s awesome with everything EXCEPT things that are feathered. (Just to clarify, he hasn’t hurt/killed a chicken YET, however i’m 100% sure he would). Normally I wouldn’t be concerned because our chickens are on a regular basis untouchable. However my neighbors chicken are completely free range. We let our chickens out for a few hours everyday to scratch around and eat bugs, at which time I for now will have to keep my new pupper inside. That being said I REALLY, really, really want to train him to be cool with my/ my neihbors feathered friends. I’ve spent hours looking on the internet for training tips and plan to also consult a professional behavioralist but, I figured it couldn’t hurt to see what you wonderful chicken lovers have to say; whether it be personal experience or simply a trick of the trade that you’ve heard of that works. Hit me with your best people!
Thanks in advance!

My 3 diablos will not hurt any of my chickens. Chihuahua, Maltese, and a Shipoo.
I heard of peeps having success training their dogs using a shock collar. I do not have one , nor had the need for one.
What breed is your doggie. We have rescues:hugs in our family as well.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I have a pitbull, mini dachshund and a weimaraner. I had a 4th dog who was a german shepherd/lab/weimaraner mix who sadly passed now. Point being all are deemed 'Aggressive' or hunting breeds.. I have never had a problem. The horses, dogs and chickens all roamed freely on the property with harmony. Currently I have a fox so the chickens are cooped and fenced, but before that nothing but peace between them .. and I look forward to the chickens being free range again.

If I can have 4 dogs (all males) that all understand to go against every fiber of their being to not kill my chickens and go against all genetics and hunt drive.. then so can you. Lots of firm training and reward good behavior is key.
Make sure your dog first understands you are the alpha. You said you just got the dog so make sure he/she sees you as a leader and not the substitute teacher... Make it very obvious what you want. Your dog is smart.. but since there is an obvious language barrier you may need to literally point at your chickens and tell your dog a firm 'NO' and also depending on your dogs kill drive/obedience/intelligence. The more obvious you are the better. Dogs are one of the few species that if you point a dog will follow your arm and the direction of your pointing. It may take a try or a few depending on how much you've worked with your dog.
Keep him leashed and monitored always at first. Watch your dogs body language. A lot of people are not educated about a dogs' body language. Again reward all positive behavior.. all the things your dog does around your chickens that you want and approve of reward your dog.
I actually taught my (at the time 13 year old) weimaraner to not run wildly through the calm flock of chickens. I believe it was a mix of him not caring and thinking its kinda fun.. cause they all fly up around me! and the rooster chases me! It only took 3 different times/training sessions for this dog to understand you do not run around or through the chickens. To this day he is now 90% deaf from being so old, but he immediately slows to a walk or stand still if the chickens are very close or in front of him.

All my dogs see me as alpha/pack leader, they know what is expected of them, they are obedient and I have worked with them.. some slightly longer then others. All dogs are individuals. Adoption is a beautiful thing!! Sometimes just spending time with your dog and chickens together works. Pet your chickens (IF the chicken can stay quite) in front of your dog. Let your dog see this is good.. we like these lol. I also allow gentle nosing and sniffing even when they are chicks in the house. Its ok to want to figure out what this little puff of fuzz is.. but you cannot jump and play with it. I keep no secrets from my dogs and as soon as something Good or Bad is done they are immediately aware if that behavior or act was either acceptable or not.

Good Luck! :D and I hope some of my ramblings helped...

Last edited:
Not that this is the correct solution because it is negative reinforcement. Or that this is an option for you. Growing up I had a rooster that would attack me everyday; and one day a stray dog that seemed to be beagle mix of some kind showed up. We decided to take the dog in; however, he became a chicken murderer. So I got the rooster to attack me and put the dog in the way. When I set the dog down the rooster was set on the dog and chased him off. Never messed with another chicken.

Is this your only dog or do you have other safe around chickens that he may learn from?
I would wlk him on a leash at first keeping inside your property line. From this he may learn his boundries.
Also while walking him if you walk past a chicken and he makes an aggresive move towards the bird(not the just inquisitve want to get aqantiated and sniff you kind of move) a tug in the leash accompanied by a sharp NO would be good training.
Maybe if you have a lap bird you could hold it and let the dog sniff (be carefull)
You have no idea what his dog knows or does and what his past may have taught him.
Please keep us updated with his behavior, these will give us and you clues to his intentations and motives.
Congradulations and thank you for adopting your new dog and giving him a new chance at a forever happy home!!!

The instinctual drive to chase and hunt birds are sometimes genetically ingrained in certain breed of dogs...... with mine, even though she's a great listener sometimes her instinct kicks in (especially when the chickens try to flee) and chases them. After a bit of yelling and scolding, she kinda of snapped back to and eased up. I made sure to point out that chickens are a No-No and a few scoldings at her will bring upon a sad face and she'd get it. What I did to train her was put her on a leash and take her out near the chickens to familiarize herself with them, if she shows interest and walks towards them or try to chase, I just give it a few quick tugs on the leash. After doing this for awhile, she learns that the chickens are to be left alone and within a day or two her interest in them slowly decrease to the point where she pays them no attention anymore. This is how it worked for me although I'm still a bit wary about her 'instinct' kicking in but for now it's been fine.

Hey all!
So, today I rescued a dog from the local animal shelter. He passed all normal tests with flying colors, he’s awesome with everything EXCEPT things that are feathered. (Just to clarify, he hasn’t hurt/killed a chicken YET, however i’m 100% sure he would). Normally I wouldn’t be concerned because our chickens are on a regular basis untouchable. However my neighbors chicken are completely free range. We let our chickens out for a few hours everyday to scratch around and eat bugs, at which time I for now will have to keep my new pupper inside. That being said I REALLY, really, really want to train him to be cool with my/ my neihbors feathered friends. I’ve spent hours looking on the internet for training tips and plan to also consult a professional behavioralist but, I figured it couldn’t hurt to see what you wonderful chicken lovers have to say; whether it be personal experience or simply a trick of the trade that you’ve heard of that works. Hit me with your best people!
Thanks in advance!
It's gonna take lots of time and further training...on a leash at first.
You may not be able to 'free range' your dog...is your yard fenced to keep dog at home?

Back
Top Bottom