MY Rescue Dogs- Pit mixes??

SportTees

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Southern Middle Tennessee
The black one showed up a couple weeks ago about starved and covered in ticks- I guess someone probably dropped him off. He is a very good calm but playful dog that doesn't mess with the chickens of anything really. I took him in because I was scared someone would hurt him because he looks like a bully breed.

The red one I kept from going to a shelter in a county the kill anything the resembles a bully. He is a good dog but very much still a puppy. He doesn't understand you don't eat birds yet. He does no basic commands and is calm for a pup.

14593_100_3480.jpg

14593_007.jpg

I have never been around pits and everyone told not to take them in because of the reputation. They seem to be very good dogs and smart. I dont believe in condeming any animal based on breed alone. Even my sis who is an animal lover told me she would get one as a pup from a reliable breeder but she wouldn't trust an older one she didn't know the background on. Its good to know there are others out there that think they are good pits.

They are so lucky they found you! They are beautiful!

2 things I know about Pitts:

there's a form of epilepsy which could result in SEVERE harm to you and your loved ones, especially if moving things (bike tires, running animals) result in the dogs running and snapping its jaws. I am a nurse who worked on Neuro/Trauma/ENT, we had a few patients every year who's jaw was removed by a dog "who never bit anyone before", usuallly a pitbull. Its devastating for the family and for the dog, who usually has to be put down and checked for rabies, and the long term care needed for the patient (think nursing home) But if these dogs tend to chase cars or bikes, its just that "blindly chasing and killing" thing they do if they're prone to it. A pitbull who's prone to attacking will grab you and violently shake your body parts off, and the other dogs will join in, often biting and tearing each other in the process. Remember what they were bred for? One pitbull breeder visiting one such patient was overheard saying "he just snapped. It was a good snap in the wrong place, thats all. Thats what he's made for, to take you apart..."

A puppy full of worms will be calm, drowsy, easygoing.

If you're new to pitbulls, please find out as much as you can if you're keeping them. The animal shelters are full of pitbulls. I'd hate to think of you far away from help if the dogs accidentally "do their thing" and you're all alone. Attacking is their thing, they are bred for it. Ooooh, if I had a nickel for each time I heard, "the dog was a family member, we raised our kids on him, he wouldn't hurt a fly" or "he was well trained". It must be very hard to understand the attack-dog's attack when it happens. If its a form of epilepsy, there's no way to know when it will happen, or what will set it off. That behavior is bred into the pitbull breed.

I just had to put that side of the reality of pitbulls out there, because we chicken people have to watch out for each other! What I'm really hopeful about, is that the dogs are a perfect match for your life and family, and everyone is blessed and loved! Hurry and figure out the safest way to live with pitbulls! Those two are really beautiful dogs!

They are lovely looking dogs but I think the advice of the previous poster is sound and you should heed it. Be careful and don't take any unnecessary risks. Good luck with them and I hope they are as good as they look.

From one rescuer to another:

Saving one dog may not save the world, but it means the world to the one you saved!

Thank you for being a life saver!
hugs.gif

You are a great person to take them in. We have a Pit rescue and she is a great dog! Someone had let the chain grow into her neck and had to be removed by surgery. If ever a dog had a reason to be mean she did. If you know and understand dogs they should do just fine.

Thanks for taking them in

Steve in NC

Back
Top Bottom