My rescued battery hens ~ Update ~

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jessie_Jazz, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Today is day three for my ex bats at their new home and their first day outside! [​IMG]

Quite a lot has happened in the last three days; All four chickens have names (Cheryl, Patsy, Esme and Betty - because chickens need 'Old lady' names) and I have found that Patsy is suffering from 'chicken cold' or mycoplasmosis so I will be picking up some medicine for her tomorrow.

As I said today was their first day out in the run and it was so lovely to see them scratching around and behaving like normal chickens. Will post some pics below.

But the biggest excitement of the day was to see Patsy lay a massive egg! I was warned that battery hens are likely not to worry about where they lay but was still amazed to watch her just squat in the middle of the run and squeeze out an egg. It was pretty big too - perhaps a double yolker. I promised it to my husband for helping build the coop.

At the back (left to right) is Betty, Cheryl and Patsy. And at the front is Esme.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nest box/bedroom with golf balls to give 'em the right idea.... maybe.
    [​IMG]

Patsy's egg
    [​IMG]

I have also realised that they are sleeping in a nest box rather than roosting - all four of them are in one 12" by 16" nesting box. So tonight me and hubby decided they needed to learn how to roost. We went up and shooed them out of the nest box and then put a plywood board in front so they can't get back in. We tried putting them on the perches but was not easy in a 4' tall coop - so will go and check on them in a bit to see if they've cracked it. [​IMG]

2. tnapier6

tnapier6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Good for you for rescuing those girls!

3. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    I've rescued hens from a 'vivero' in Manhattan, it's a live poultry market where they will slaughter the chicken for you right there and then. I've had three NJ giants from the same market, two lived short but happy lives, I still have the last one. After watching the delivery truck driver park his fully loaded truck in full sunlight on a 100F day a few years ago, and leave the chickens for a two hour lunchbreak, I swore I'd rescue some of them. Fast forward a few years and I moved to CT, where I now have a backyard. One of the very first things I did when we moved in was drive back down there and take some home. The guy who sold them to me spoke very little English and I had to insist he didn't slaughter them before he handed them over! It's so wonderful to watch them taking a dust bath, or scratching in the leaves.

Where did you get your birds from? Most cities have live poultry markets where the old battery hens that no longer lay are available, there's one in Bridgeport.

4. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    p.s. Do you know how old your girls are?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are these your only hens? If not, then don't let any others around them since you think there is mycoplasmosis present. If it is really MG, just realize that she will probably be a carrier from now on. Precaution is advised in a situation like that.

I bet they feel like they are at a spa now!

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] [​IMG] how nice to hear that they got to go out in the sun and grass!!!! Hope they will adjust quickly to being 'real' chickens

7. Jessie_Jazz

Jessie_Jazz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Suffolk UK
    Good for you weesy! [​IMG] I can't wait for my chickens to get back to full health, must be a great feeling knowing that you have given your girls a much happier ending! Mine came from a rescue charity - I live in the sticks in the UK and have not heard of the markets you talk about, don't know if it happens over here. We reckon they're probably about 18 months old, as this is the time when their best laying capabilities are over. They won't live as long as pure bred chickens, but I'll make sure their few remaining years are stress free.

Speckledhen: these are my first and only chickens so there is no danger of passing the cold on to other chickens. Patsy was ill when I got her so I spoke to the rescue centre who said they have it going around there as some came from the farm sick. I am treating them all with anitbiotics in their water so hopefully it will clear up in a few days. When you say she will be a carrier; do you mean she is more likely to get the same thing in the future? I guess I just keep a real close eye on her for symptoms?

They are still not roosting at night; I think I will replace their tree branch perch with a piece of 2" by 4" and see if that helps. Only one is laying but she is not laying in a nest box either and they are all currently sitting outside in the rain [​IMG]

Patience and persistence........

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by