My Rescued chick (guinea fowl???) isnt growing! please help me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ZooGirl, May 9, 2008.

1. ZooGirl

ZooGirl New Egg

May 9, 2008
    Hey Guys...I googled to get some advice on raising chickens and didnt find much except this site, so please help.

I was given a rescued chick from a zoo I work at, to raise and release. It's been nearly 2 months and he's only about doubled in size. Somehow i dont think this is right...... He gets light all day, and sun about 2 or 3 times a week and he's fed a product called chick chick (thats what the vet told me to feed him)

Does anyone know why he's not growing? what am i doing wrong? its breaking my heart! [​IMG]

Some of my friends suggested he may be a guinea fowl, does anyone know if maybe guinea fowls grow slowly???

Many thanks!

Cait

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Guineas do grow relatively slow but if it were a guinea you would know it (I think) because they don't look like chickens.

Does yours bird look like this?

[​IMG]

If so it is a guinea.

[​IMG]

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    please post a photo of this bird as without it to identify the type of bird we will be unable to help you further really. In order to post a photo here you must first host it through an online photohoster like photobucket... you can register for a free account> then you upload the photo to your photobucket account then copy and paste the last URL underneath the uploaded photo here in your reply.

4. ZooGirl

ZooGirl New Egg

May 9, 2008
    Thanks for the replies.

Here she is on the day I got her

[​IMG]

Here she is now, about 2 months!!!! later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When they're very young guinea fowl look a lot like chickens, apparently. She has just started getting some peoper feathers and they do look grey.

So what is she? I dont know what to do [​IMG] i did everything I was told! I'm not a bird person.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I will allow members more knowledgeable to help you identify the breed...here is a good article on raising guinea fowl if it indeed turns out to be what it is:
    http://gallus.tamu.edu/Publications.htm
    (Scroll down to the link to the PDF article link RAISING GUINEA FOWL L-519 under the section Poultry Production and Management )

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  6. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Your chick doesn't look like any guinea fowl I've raised. Guinea fowl keet bodies don't grow in proportion to their heads. By that I mean that their bodies get huge, long and "back heavy" while their heads seem tiny by comparison to a chick.

It is a bit scary that your chick isn't growing though.

7. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Is it possible it might be a bantam chicken?

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I also wonder if it might be a bantam.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have to agree. With the photo posted that is not a guinea. It is a chicken. If it is tiny it could be a runt or a bantam.

10. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    it look's like a millie chick to me:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by