My rescued Meatie *UPDATED 16 week Pic* Sally...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by BarefootMom, Jun 9, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    We processed our meaties at 7 weeks, well there was one pullet that seemed a lot smaller than the rest so I decided to keep her back. She is now 10 weeks old and doing fine. She is a bit bigger than her cousins that are the same age as she, but not unhealthy. She runs around with the others and seems to be doing just fine. I hope she will someday lay eggs for me! Here is Sally at 10 weeks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I've never heard of a meat hen laying eggs but I'm sure they're capable of it. If you get an egg, lets see some pics [​IMG]

3. oldcluck

oldcluck Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Many years ago we kept a few leftover cornish cross as layers. They layed surprisingly well and after the hens got mature the eggs were huge and often double yoked. They didn't live too long though as they were very fat. They also tended to get egg bound as i recall.

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Rico, I know what you mean. You never really hear of them laying but they gotta come from somewhere right?! Maybe they are kept on a restricted diet. I dunno.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How kind of you to save the little gal who may not remain so little now the others are gone. A meatie gone broody can cover a lot of eggs!

6. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:well she is with about 70 more birds her age, and I only feed in the morning and night. They all free range during the day, so it is not like she is gorging herself all day long. I picked her up yesterday and she is almost complety feathered--even on her belly! I wouldn't even put her at 6 lbs yet.

My husbands grandma had a few cornishs a few years back and she said they layed lots of eggs and were the JUMBO sized eggs. She said she had to use goose egg cartons for those eggs and she could sell them for $2 a dozen...this was back in the early 80's.

7. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    My husband (the softy) was wondering if we could keep one or two of our Freedom Rangers as layers. This thread is helpful!

8. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    pics I took today of her

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, she's cute! I hope she has continued good health! [​IMG]

10. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Just a quick update, Lil Miss Sally is still going strong even in this extreme heat! We have had record breaking temps this week but all the chicks are doing good-miraculously!

Here is a current picture - she is now almost 16 weeks old!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by