My Rescued Turkey House Turkey Hen

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by greenfamilyfarms, Oct 27, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I got a call this morning from a lady who has turkey houses and she had a hen for me. When they were loading the trucks, she escaped and the truck left her. She couldn't keep the turkey because she was expecting a new load of poults, so here is our "rescued" girl in quarantine. She has been debeaked and her toenails have been removed, and she's a little beat up and confused, but sweet. Since she is used to drinking out of a drip waterer, I'm having to teach her how to drink like a normal turkey. I think the turkey lady was tickled for me to come get her and knowing that she wouldn't be eaten.

Any creative name suggestions?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    so cute, in a kinda funny way. Are you going to keep her as a pet or until Thanksgiving? Hope as a pet

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Awww she looks sweet.... I had no idea that they removed the toe nails too! That's terrible [​IMG] She looks like a Princess to me since she will be treated like royalty compared to where she was. How nice it was of the lady to call you to give her a nice home.

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

How about Beaker?

Poor girl, cannot scratch - but what a smart girl to escape the truck! [​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    My husband says we are going to have her for Thanksgiving, but that's not going to happen. [​IMG] So, might as well name her!

6. neenerbutt92

neenerbutt92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Aww! She is adorable! I am going to rescue 6 poults from a lady my dad works with! They make the best pets, they are soo thankful and loving! I now have two rescue broiler hens from the chicken house, I've had then for 2 years! I'm sure she is soo happy that you rescued her! [​IMG]

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Look at those drumsticks [​IMG] Keep an eye out for leg problems BBW's are very prone to them.

Steve

8. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Lucky Lucy!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by