my retarded rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I think my rooster is retarded... but my wife wants him turned into stew this morning!

Our coop is a good 50 feet away from the house under a mare motel. I closed in one stall with wood, made a nice gravel and sand floor, and covered it in wood shavings.

Well this morning at 2am, my rooster started crowing. And he crowed and crowed and crowed. He crowed until 5. That's when we started seeing a little light on the horizon.
    I say "we" because my wife was awake. She is not a morning person. Well "chirpy" decides he's ready to get up so he stops crowing, and is apparently content eating all the bugs that have died during the night beneath our bug zapper.

Oh but it isn't so.

For the past few mornings I've been throwing handfuls of cooked spaghetti out the back door as I go to work. He's gotten used to it, so he's standing there waiting and waiting for me to open the back door and throw pasta at him. When it doesn't come he gets impatient, and walks right beneath our bedroom window and rears back and opens up a barrel of crows. My wife jumps up on top of the bed, throws open the blinds and yells at the rooster... Well HE thinks it was his crowing that is finally getting these lazy bones out of bed so he crows AGAIN!

Needless to say, it was my job to put him in the coop this morning before I left, and she is going to let him and all the other hens out when she's good and ready.

2. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    He isnt retarded! My roo crows constantly and all day long!

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    ahhahaha I fear for that roosters life. Hell hath no fury like a woman rooster scorned.

5. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    He isnt retarded! My roo crows constantly and all day long!

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] That bird's smart! He has you trained well! Chirpy...[​IMG]

7. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    but did he get the treats he was crowing about?

8. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

my rooster comes in the doggie door... he's smart. When he learns to open the fridge I'll consider him a genius. but I love your rooster story just the same! :)

9. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    My Rooster was stupid and crowed all the time in the end the neigbor threatened us with the council so I had to give him back! But he came from 5 doors down so we can still hear him crowing - the neighbor doesn;t know it yet but Sam the Rooster - well he - um ur - my bertha hen now has 2 more little baby Sams all but ready to crow ! I may have to move house?

Oesdog - [​IMG] I think your wife might cook your roo I fear for his life to!

10. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I know roosters crow all day and night. My wife knew this ahead of time and still agreed to let us have chickens...

So it was comical this morning when she wished the chicken's doom through the window.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by