My rh island red hen has a head injury...next step please! !

queenkoly

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 4, 2014
my 2 year old Rhode Island Red Hen got her head slammed in a door today. She appears to have nothing broken however her eye is permanently shut and she's walking very much like her equilibrium is off. I encourage her to drink and she did and swallowed, she also clocked in her neck is not broken. Since she is more of a backyard pet chicken, I never lock her in the coop but I did so just so she would have a smaller space to get her bearings. what is the next step? There is no blood and she's holding her head up right and even walks around slowly. there is no wound to treat, so I'm a little in the dark as to what I should do besides keeping her contained with food and water.

Welcome to BYC. I think other than confining her with food, water, and making sure she is finding them and eating, I would probably bring her into the house in a cage to watch her more closely. If she should start having a twisted neck or wry neck, I would then treat her with vitamins. Sorry that she was injured, and I hope her eye improves.

I did get vitamix and electrolyte mix for chickens. And made a mash...she's inside now, calm but has no interest in eating or drinking. Gonna just let her rest. Thsnks, Eggsessive :)

Last edited:
She started eating last night. I fed her plain yogurt mixed with her feed, vitamin grain, and some elctrolyte water. She stayed inside the house last night. Her eye is still swollen shut, but I think she will Overcome that. She seems more peppy this morning. Thanks again for this forum!

Back
Top Bottom