My Rhode Island Red chick is being a menace

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheMinesweeper, Mar 16, 2013.

1. TheMinesweeper

TheMinesweeper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    She is one week old and she pecks at everyone (I have nine little chicks 3 days to two weeks old) a little bit everday but today i noticed her pecking at the largest chick i have in there, which is a 2 week old Black Australorp, to the point where the Australorp is missing a tiny space of feathers. Is this normal? I really thought this behavior didnt start until a bit later. Ive also noticed that she was stretching her neck to try to look out of their little habitat and jumping up trying to fly as if she's trying to get out?? I have no idea really, just speculating, but she seems to be a bit precocious. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

2. TheMinesweeper

Mar 12, 2013
    Oh! And she's only a week and a two days old. Forgot to mention that. And ive just noticed on the other side of the Australorp her feathers arent missing but are frizzy and not soft looking anymore. Im assuming it's from the RIR pecking her on that side, too.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would lower the heat and make a bigger brooder. Nine chicks, 2 weeks old, need 9 sq ft, and will need twice that in two more weeks. Put little things in there to jump on and roost on. Take them outdoors for outings if at all possible. Dig up a small piece of sod and put it in with them if you can. Offer small amounts of something different to eat -- sprouts, torn up greens, bits of fruit, bits of table scraps, etc. Be sure the brooder gets good ventilation.

They will jump or fly out very soon if they haven't already, unless you have a screen top.

1 person likes this.
  4. TheMinesweeper

Mar 12, 2013
    Awesome. Thanks so much. i will try that.

5. TheMinesweeper

Mar 12, 2013
    Ok I tried that and it didn't work. If anything I would say it's gotten a little worse because now she's doing it to everyone.

I moved her and three others to a larger brooder. I put in three branches for them to roost on. I put some grit into a Tupperware so that they could eat and dust bathe in it. I hung a little Chick Stick in there. And I gave them some tiny pieces of chopped tomato as a new snack today. She didn't even take the time to check out the new digs. She just went straight to pecking at my Black Australorp again.
    I'm at a loss. I can't keep her if this keeps up. The Australorp just cries all might long while this chick is chasing her and pulling out her feathers and it's keeping my husband awake.

Right now we have her separated in a box but when we do that she cries periodically throughout the night which also keeps my husband awake.

Not sure what to do. Wondering if the feed store would take her back but I'm guessih no. Any suggestions welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by