My Rhode Island Red died in the nesting box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by atvmudrat, Feb 9, 2015.

1. atvmudrat

atvmudrat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    I've been raising hens for eggs for about 4 years now. A couple weeks ago we found our hen "Red" in the nesting box dead. She looked like she had simply fell to sleep. There was no egg under her. She looked very healthy and acted fine in the preceding days. Any idea what could have caused this??? I waited two weeks to post in case our other hens did the same thing but they are doing great. I'm trying to figure out what it was so I can try to prevent it from happening to my other girls. My hens run free in our pasture during the day and we lock them in the coop at night. Red would have been one year old on July 1.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's very young but it's too late to tell now, especially with no symptoms. It would be anybody's guess and a guess would be all it is.
    If a bird dies, especially without symptoms, labwork with a complete necropsy is the only way to know what happened.
    As infrequent as it may be, like all animals, chickens are susceptible to an amazing variety of illnesses.
    A necropsy must be done of a freshly dead bird.
    Contact your state poultry lab to see how they want a bird delivered if it were to happen again.

3. atvmudrat

atvmudrat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Thank you. This eased my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by