My Rhode Island Red Girls....One is Laying, FINALLY(PICS)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Nov 22, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have three of these dark mahogany RIR ladies who are 30 weeks old. One is laying, but this is the first time I haven't been able to really tell birds apart at this age. The one laying has a larger comb, but they look so much alike! Julie, these are your granddaughters! Too bad you dont have the parents of these ladies anymore. They are real beauties, I think. Here they are with some of the others today. The BR rooster in the pics is Dutch's little brother, Mace. One thing I do notice about the breeder type RIRs is that they are HUGE! My three are Amazon-Hens!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In this next pic, the RIR in the foreground is Reba, my only original hatchery RIR left. In the back in the pen is Meg, my RIR/Buff Orp cross girl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    They are all beautiful. I have one little chick mistakenly hatched prior to giving my birds to my friends. As soon as their birds on the younger ones start laying I am sure they will sell eggs to anyone who wants them.

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Your birds are soooo pretty! [​IMG]

Both of my RIR hens arent nearly as dark as that......i wish they were. Their more of a rich red color - not a mohagany.

What breed is the Roo in the last picture? He is gorgeous!!

4. speckledhen

Thank you, ChickenWhisperer. The rooster in the last picture is my Mace, second in command over the laying flock, under his big brother, Dutch. They are Barred Plymouth Rocks. The stain on the back of Mace's neck feathers is blood from his brother being a bit upset at Mace having his way with what Dutch believes are his ladies, LOL.

Julie, thanks again for sending me some of your RIR eggs before you relocated your RIR breeders. They are the most rich, deep, dark cherry color. In fact, one of them is named Cherry, but I cant for the life of me tell which one is Cherry, LOL. You can really tell the difference in those girls and my older RIR, Reba, a hatchery girl.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    She's beautiful Cyn! Congrats on getting an egg from her! She must have heard us talking about her this morning. [​IMG] I wish it would work that way for me. I guess I'll keep waiting!

And look at Mace! What a handsome boy! All the others are lovely too, of course. [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

It's funny. I always said that Meg was my largest hen. And she was...until Delilah (DeDe), Suede's daughter filled out. Now, DeDe is my largest hen, followed by Meg. I swear these RIR girls aren't far behind, either. I mistook one of them sitting in a nest for DeDe one day. Without good light, they appear black just like Delilah.

7. tony30536

tony30536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Ellijay Ga.
    i love the color of them rir's ,save me some cherry eggs

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:I have always said mine looked like cherry coke in the sun light. I had been calling my RIR pullet from Julie's eggs Cherry Coke. How funny.

Really pretty girls, Cyn.

9. speckledhen

Well, seems you and I are on the same wavelength, MissP! Great minds and all that....I've started calling them all Cherry though the other two are named, but maybe as their combs mature, I can tell the difference better.

10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    So pretty Cyn! I love them. Hey my BRs go in to the hatcher tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by