My Rhode Island Red is Laying strange eggs & I cannot figure out what is going on.

MissDolly

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
They eat Nature’s Best Orgaic egg layer pellets and late in the day a treat of non-gmo scratch combined with Garden delight and dried grubs or organic fruits & veggies. I don’t know how old is is. Any suggestions??

Attachments

• FCE65005-D088-49E5-9CEA-211B6A6C30F7.jpeg
    FCE65005-D088-49E5-9CEA-211B6A6C30F7.jpeg
    625.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 842E1DBD-7BF0-4213-8C8D-6F9DCF254795.jpeg
    842E1DBD-7BF0-4213-8C8D-6F9DCF254795.jpeg
    453.7 KB · Views: 11
We use oyster/periwinkle shells that I collect from shell bars during low tide from the ocean near my house, but we are part of a lucky few that has access to that resource.
Any concerns about residual salt?

I wouldn't be surprised if any and all oyster shell is considered organic by the USDA since it is just the crushed shell of oysters. Other than that, I'm really not sure what your options would be.
Ditto Dat.

It's pretty normal to see this kind of deformity. Definitely not something to worry about. I see it alot on my older hens. Some free choice calcium can help if that's the problem, but more often than not from my experience, it's an old age situation.

Are both pics the same eggs?
I'd cut out all but the layer feed for a week or two and see if things improve.

It's pretty normal to see this kind of deformity. Definitely not something to worry about. I see it alot on my older hens. Some free choice calcium can help if that's the problem, but more often than not from my experience, it's an old age situation.
Thanks! I feed them organic. What would you suggest as a organic source of free choice calcium?
Are both pics the same eggs?
I'd cut out all but the layer feed for a week or two and see if things improve.
They are from the same chicken laid 1 day apart.

Thanks! I feed them organic. What would you suggest as a organic source of free choice calcium?
We use oyster/periwinkle shells that I collect from shell bars during low tide from the ocean near my house, but we are part of a lucky few that has access to that resource. I'm sure there is organic labeled oyster shell at some feed stores. I wouldn't be surprised if any and all oyster shell is considered organic by the USDA since it is just the crushed shell of oysters. Other than that, I'm really not sure what your options would be.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom