My Rhode Island Red is making a growling noise. Could he be sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janwit41, Nov 23, 2012.

1. janwit41

janwit41 New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    The store accidently gave us feed formulated for fighting birds. The rooster didn't have but a single serving of the feed, but later started to growl or moan as if he had a stomach ache. This has been going on for a couple of days now. Other than the moaning, he seem pretty much ok. Any advice?

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Unless the feed is old, mold, or otherwise ruined, it should not hurt your bird. It could just be he is not used to the feed.

3. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I would give him (force feed with syringe) a ton of water. Really dilute whats in there. Also give him the correct feed. Just try to get whatever is in there out. [​IMG] Keep us updated! [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Roosters make all kinds of weird noises, including growling and moaning. There's nothing wrong with him.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    That could be it, but we're not sure if the feed caused it or if that's normal. If the feed did cause it they need to get him treated asap.

6. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    I cant imagine a name brand company selling food specifically for fighting roosters. That would be like walking into walmart and seeing a bag of Alpo pit dog formula. Because of this, I am going to assume you got something mixed by your feed store locally. In this case, I would tell you to throw that food out. Who knows what some local nut job thinks would make a rooster fight better. There could be anything in that food, iron shavings, or Tabasco, or even gasoline.

My 2 cents

Riki

7. janwit41

janwit41 New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    My husband went back to the feed store to inquire about the feed. The clerk said that the feed was not formulated for fighting birds, as we had thought. Just a misunderstanding on our part due to the labeling. The clerk said that the problem might be worms and sold my husband some water treatment. I hope this helps. The rooster is a beloved pet of ours!

8. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I hope that's it! [​IMG] Keep us updated!

9. janwit41

janwit41 New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    I think my rooster is better. He is still moaning some, but not nearly as much. Thanks everyone!

10. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    glad it worked out.

How many chickens do you have?

Riki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by